Sarva Pitru Amavasya 2022: Pitru Paksha Amavasya – Do’s & Don’ts
Sarvapitru Amavasya 2022: Importance of this last day of Pitru Paksh
The shradh paksh is dedicated to our ancestors and considered highly significant in Hindu religion. During this period, people do pind daan for pitru shanti i.e. rituals for the soul of ancestors to rest in peace. The last day of this pitru paksh is known as Sarvapitru Amavasya or Mahalaya Amavasya. The shradh paksh also ends on this day. This year it falls on Sept 25 2022. Hence, let us learn about some interesting aspects related to sarvapitru amavasya.
Significance of Sarvapitru Amavasya:
Sarvapitru Amavasya is highly suitable for people who are not aware about the mrityu tithi of their ancestors, or if they are unable to perform tarpan and pind daan during other days of shradh paksh. Sarvapitru Amavasya is also known as pitru visarjan amavasya, or mahalaya samapan or mahalaya visarjan. The souls of all ancestors depart on the mahalaya day. It is believed that the soul of an ancestor visit the house of its descendant with the expectation of shradh or tarpan on sarvapitru amavasya, i.e. amavasya day of the Bhadrapad month. But, if pind daan is not done for ancestors their soul will go back disappointed. Hence, it is highly essential to perform shradh of our pitru or ancestor on sarvapitru visarjan day.
Beliefs regarding Sarvapitru Amavasya:
During pitru paksh, the soul of departed ancestor visit their family’s house without invitation. And, on feeling satisfied they bless their descendants and return back. It is believed that we have to face various difficulties in our life, if our ancestors are displeased. Loss of wealth, failure in all areas of life and problems related to our children are caused when the soul of our ancestors are restless. In case you are unable to perform the shradh rituals for pitru shanti during other days of pitru paksh, then you should take advantage of sarvapitru amavasya day and do tarpan or pind daan rituals for your ancestors. But, people who do not perform the religious ceremony dedicated to their ancestors on this day have to face physical, mental and financial problems as their ancestors are disappointed.
Do’s & Don’ts for Sarvapitru Amavasya:
- Black sesame seeds are considered appropriate for performing activities related to our ancestors. Moreover, the person doing shradh should wear white clothes.
- Always offer scented flowers to ancestors, and especially include rose or white-coloured scented flowers.
- Always do pind daan near the banks of a river or lake.
- You must perform Brahman Bhoj i.e. serve meal to brahmin on sarvapitru amavasya. But, it is inappropriate to invite characterless, diseased or non-vegetarian people, and persons involved in other immoral activities for shradh
- It is believed that you will get everlasting rewards by offering food or giving donation to a brahmin who has knowledge of the Vedas and Mantras. Besides this, you can also feed your niece or nephew.
- Don’t eat chickpeas, red lentils, green mustard leaves, barley, cumin seeds, radish, black salt, gourd, cucumber and stale meal on this day.
- Don’t make the mistake of insulting any living being visiting your home on sarvapitru amavasya.