Indian scriptures are full of mythological stories about Gods and Goddesses blessing their devotees. But it is prominent in every story that to achieve what you desire; you need to put some extra efforts to please the Gods. And one such example is the Ahoi Ashtami Vrat. Very similar to the Karva Chauth Vrat, mothers observe the Ahoi Ashtami Vrat in Northern states of India. Mothers fast for the well-being and prosperity of their sons.
Ahoi Ashtami falls on the fourth day after Karva Chauth which is on October 21, 2019. Ahoi Ashtami is observed 8 days before the Diwali festival in the month of Karthik. Ahoi Ashtami is also known as Ahoi Aathe and Karwathe. Women break this fast after sighting of stars. They fast from dawn to dusk. Some women break the fast after a sighting of the moon.
Ahoi Ashtami Vrat Puja 2019 - Shubh Mahurat
This year Ahoi Ashtami Vrat will be observed on October 21, Monday. The auspicious time of puja is from 5.42 pm to 6.59 pm. Stars will arise at around 6.15 pm.
Ahoi Ashtami Vrat Vidhi
Every mother yearns for the best life for her child. For this, mothers observe the Ahoi Ashtami Vrat and follow its ritual or Puja Vidhi with vigor and zeal.
- Mothers wake up early morning before the sun rises and gets ready.
- They draw a picture of Ahoi Mata with seven sons, on a wall.
- A clean bowl is filled with water and its edges are smeared with turmeric powder. This bowl is tied with kalava or sacred red thread and kept on the left side of the picture.
- Grains are placed on a plate and kept in front of the picture.
- Mothers worship this picture and listen to the Ahoi Ashtami Vrat Katha.
- Then they have their food, after which they should not consume anything till dusk.
- In the evening, mothers prepare Halwa and Puri for prasad.
- After this, all the mothers of the family gather near the picture of Ahoi Mata.
- They make one painting each for their children and stick some halwa over it.
- They worship Ahoi Mata and recite the Arti.
- In the evening, the mothers worship the stars, offer water and prasad and break the fast.
Ahoi Ashtami Vrat - Katha/Story
Once there was a woman who had seven sons and one daughter. They all were married. One day all her daughters-in-law went to the forest to collect soil for renovation of the hut. Her daughter was also with them. While they were all digging, the daughter’s trowel fell over an offspring of a Saiyuh. Inconsolable at the loss of her child, the Saiyuh cursed the daughter and said that she would not be able to conceive ever.
The daughter pleaded the Saiyuh for forgiveness as it was an unintentional act. Saiyuh could not reverse her curse but she said she could transfer it to someone who would take it willingly. The daughter requested all her sisters–in–law. The youngest of all accepted to take the curse. With the course of time, everyone got children except the youngest daughter–in–law.
She took the advice of a priest and served a Surayi in the shed. Surayi was the friend of Saiyuh. When she was pleased with the service of the lady, she asked for her wish. The daughter-in-law immediately narrated the incidence and requested her to ask Saiyuh to free her from the curse. Surayi agreed and they both went to Saiyuh.
On the way, the lady saved the child of Garuda who was so pleased that he carried them both and flew to Saiyuh. On the request of Surayi and Garuda, Saiyuh gave the solution to the curse. She advised the daughter-in-law to pray to Ahoi Mata, fast and make a seven-sided yarn for her. She asked her to break her fast only after worshipping Ahoi Mata and sighting stars in the evening. Following this advice, she was blessed with seven sons and remained happy and prosperous.
Significance of Ahoi Ashtami
According to the tradition, this vrat is observed by mothers of sons only. This vrat is significant for their well-being and prosperity. Mothers pray for good health, long life, education and prosperity of their sons.
Ganesha wishes a healthy and happy life for all your children – girl or boy! Happy Ahoi Ashtami!
To Get Your Personalized Solutions, Talk To An Astrologer Now!
With Ganesha’s Grace,
The GaneshaSpeaks.com Team