Celebrate Guru Purnima 2023 Differently
In the religious scriptures of Hinduism and Buddhism, the festive event of Guru Purnima is not only considered important, but also sacred. As per these age-old cultures, a Guru, a teacher is next to God, and therefore an integral part of the society and its building process. This year, the auspicious day of Guru Purnima will be celebrated on July 3, 2023.
Guru Purnima 2023 Date And Importance
Guru Purnima Date: July 3, 2023, Monday
Purnima Tithi Begins – 08:21 PM on Jul 02, 2023
Purnima Tithi Ends – 05:08 PM on Jul 03, 2023
The following shloka from the ancient Vedic Scriptures elucidates the supreme place a teacher or Guru is given –
Gururbrahmā Gururviṣhṇu Gururdēvōh Mahēśhvaraḥ…I
Guru Sākṣhāta Paraṁ Brahmah Tasmai Shrī Guravē Namaḥ…II
Meaning : Oh teacher, you are akin to the Gods. You are Lord Vishnu and you are Lord Shiva – the God of the Gods. Oh teacher, you are the supreme being, and you are Lord Brahma for me. Thus, oh revered teacher, I bow in front of you.
The Full Moon day in Shukla Paksha during the Lunar month Ashad is celebrated as Guru Purnima. In the word Guru – Gu means darkness, ignorance and Ru implies elimination or removal. So, Guru is literally the one who removes the darkness of ignorance from our lives, makes us knowledgeable and brings positivity in our life and mind.
History & Significance of Guru Purnima
It is said that the Guru Vyasa wrote all the 4 Vedas that were recited by the Lord Brahma and every person in this world is in debt for the work that saint Vyasa did. He also wrote several Puranas. And from those times, a day was dedicated towards the Gurus and this day is called ‘Guru Purnima’. The word “Purnima” is used because on this day, there is a full moon. It has a deep significance in the past and in today’s world also. As this day is dedicated towards the Gurus, people irrespective of caste etc offer their prayers to their gurus thanking them for the knowledge they have provided to the learner.
Guru-Shishya Relationship Is Emphasised On Guru Purnima Day
Guru Purnima is dedicated to the great teachers and mentors who build up our future. A Guru or a teacher is someone who acts like a guide in our lives directing us to the right path for our betterment. Therefore, it is a fine way of paying homage to them through the day of Guru Purnima. According to Hindu Vedic evidence, Guru Purnima is celebrated on the birth of Ved Vyas. Ved Vyas is referred as one of the greatest Gurus in Indian Philosophy. He symbolizes the Guru-Shishya (teacher-student) tradition. It is also believed that he completed the Brahma Sutras on the day of Guru Purnima.
The Guru-Shishya (Teacher-Student) relationship is one of the highlights of the Indian culture. In olden days, children were made to wear a sacred thread (Poonal or Yagnopavith Or Janeu) and were sent to an Aashram/ Pathshala, where they were taught different subjects. It was assumed that a guru would help them find the right direction in life.
Parents are the first teachers in our life, and thus the Indian culture also considers parents as the Gurus. In the traditional Guru-Shishya culture, when a child finished his education and left the Ashram, he/ she offered something valuable, as a token of gratitude to his/ her Guru, and only then started a new life in the real world.
Keeping up with this Guru-Shishya tradition, every Guru Purnima, people give their teachers some gifts, as per their will and capacity, and seek their blessings.
Words for a Guru by the revered Saint Kabir –
Guru gōbinda dō’u khaḍē kākē lāgūm̐ pāya…
…balihārī guru āpanē gōbinda diyō batāya.
Meaning: If my Guru and God were standing together, to whom should I bow down to first? Well, in that case, I would choose to bow down to my Guru first, for he is the one who has helped me see and identify God. It is impossible to find God without the help of a learned teacher.
Another very famous Doha/couplet for teachers by Saint Kabir –
Kabīrā tē nara andha hai guru kō kahatē aura..
..hari rūṭhē guru ṭhaura hai guru rūṭhē nahī ṭhaura II
Meaning: He who cannot understand his teacher is blind. If the Lord is displeased with you, your teacher can save you from His anger and punishment. But, when a teacher is angry/ disappointed in you, who will save you?
What Should You Do On This Day?
- Meet the person who you consider to be your Guru.
- Shri Aadi Shankaracharya is considered the Jagatguru (everyone’s teacher) as per the Vedic scriptures. You may worship Him on this day.
- Guru’s Guru – Guru Dattatreya – should also be worshipped. You may also recite Dutt Baavani.
- In Vedic Astrology, Jupiter (Brihaspati) is called as the Guru – the teacher or the signifier of higher education and ideals – you may worship Lord Jupiter on this day
By Worshipping Your Guru You Shall Invite Good Luck And Find Progress In Life
As per the principles of Vedic Astrology, you may also worship an attuned and energised Guru Yantra, especially if the following planetary combinations (one or more) are present in your Natal Chart. This will help you strengthen Guru or Lord Jupiter’s benign effects in your Horoscope.
- If Jupiter is in its Sign of debilitation, i.e., Capricorn, in your Birth Chart, you should worship a Guru Yantra regularly.
- This Yantra is also favourable in case of a conjunction between Jupiter-Rahu, Jupiter-Ketu or Jupiter-Saturn in your Birth Chart.
- If Jupiter is in its House of debilitation, i.e., the 6th, 8th or the 12th House, in your Horoscope, you should worship an energised Guru Yantra.
- When Jupiter is retrograde or combust in your Natal Chart, Jupiter is not as strong as it usually is. Worshipping a reliable and energised Guru Yantra will prove to be beneficial for you.
- Those whose Kundalis/ Horoscopes indicate problems in matters related to child’s education, seek genuine guidance through expert astro’s advice, and wear a suitable Pukhraj/ Yellow Sapphire when and if recommended.
- If your Kundali indicates financial troubles, you should regularly worship an energised Shree Yantra to find solutions on the financial front.
Celebrate Guru Purnima with your valuable guide, teacher, or mentor of life.
Attract Good Luck With Your Personalised Horoscope On The Auspicious Day Of Guru Purnima! – Talk To Expert Astrologer Now!
With Ganesha’s Grace,
The GaneshaSpeaks.com Team
Astrologers trained by Shri Bejan Daruwalla.