Satyanarayan Katha: Procedure and Significance
“Shri Satyanarayan Katha bears great fruit in this Kalyug. Lord Satyanarayan means Lord Vishnu. The one who takes care of the world. Please give us good thoughts and make us be the persons who do their duty properly. Show us the path of truth and duty.”
This is the prayer that is performed to worship Lord Satyanarayan. The word Satyanarayan is a compound word made of two words Satya and Narayan. The word when broken means the presence of the Narayan in all things and everyone and is the Supreme of all. It shows that the Almighty, who is Lord Narayan, has created the world. So, it signifies the existence of the almighty who created life and created the world.
Satyanarayan Katha-Its Importance
- The greatest importance of the Satyanarayan Puja is really very great. This vidhi was started by Lord Narayana for the people on Earth to bring an end to all their miseries. This puja is not restricted to one particular yug. It will benefit the people in all the yugas.
- It’s a promise made by Lord Narayana to all human beings that if you are true, then he will save you from all the perils and dangers of life. The Katha is also known as Narayan Katha.
- There is one truth attached to it. This ceremony was started at a time when people were dying of hunger. This death of people was due to a lack of nutrition. These dying people were saved by good fruits and dry fruits. When this prasad is given to poor people, we hear from them that due to eating the Prasad, they slept peacefully.
- It is a pooja done to offer gratitude to Lord Satyanarayan. On the day the pooja is to be performed, the devotees keep fast, and this keeps the negative thoughts away from their mind.
- To overcome the problems and difficulties of life, this pooja is performed.
- According to the Hindu scriptures the acts of our previous birth and our sins affect our life, but their wrong effects can be overcome by performing the Satyanarayan Pooja.
- In Satyanarayan Katha, we devout our time for truth, and we become true to ourselves and others.
- Satyanarayan Katha is helpful to us for achieving our goals and aspirations of our life, and improves our physical and mental health.
- It prevents us from doing wrong things and teaches us to follow the path of truth.
You can appease Lord Vishnu, with an authentically performed Vishnu Puja online.
Can Satyanarayan Pooja Be Done Alone?
This Pooja is very simple and can be done by anyone. The primary instructions given is to invite as many friends, relatives and neighbours to attend the ceremony. Feed them and offer them as many fruits as you can offer them. They should be well-fed, and consumption of fruits should be there.
Best time for Satyanarayan Pooja
- Satnaryan Bhagwan Katha can be performed on any day at any time.
- It is performed before any special occasion such as the marriage ceremony, housewarming party etc.
- People even do the Shri Satyanarayan Katha when they want to thank God for their achievements, promotion etc.
- Special occasions like childbirth, godbharai, birthdays are celebrated by doing this pooja.
- This pooja is even performed by the individuals who have been suffering for a long time due to any physical issues or due to any financial problems or when they are not getting jobs etc.
- It is said that performing Satyanarayan puja on ekadashi is more auspicious.
- It is said that the best Satyanarayan Katha Time is in the evening, but it can be performed during any part of the day.
- Sankranti day or the day of the Solar eclipse is also the auspicious day for Satyanarayan Katha.
How to Do Satyanarayan Pooja At Home?
- Foremost the devotees have to do Satyanarayan Vrat. From the morning,they will fast until the time when the pooja is finished. They will break their fast by having the Prasadam.
- It’s a pooja that is done to bring peace to the family. In this pooja not only the family members but relatives far and near and friends are called.
- The Satyanarayan Puja List consists of items Prasadam consists of Panchamrut, a mixture of milk, curd, ghee, honey and sugar, fruits, suji ka halwa and tulsi leaves are kept.
- The Satyanarayan Pooja list consists of many things. Asoka leaves to be hung at the entrance door.
- The platform is to be placed in the East- North direction of the house.
- It has to be decorated with flowers and banana leaves. A new cloth needs to be placed at the altar.
- A kalash is placed at the centre of the altar and Shrifal covered with red cloth and the red thread tied around the Shrifal and on the Kalash along with Ashoka leaves.
- Place a betel leaf and the idol of Lord Satyanarayan on that. It should be placed in front of the kalasham.
- Fresh flowers, Kumkum, abir and rose powder, are offered to Lord Satyanarayan.
- Devotees should sit facing the altar.
- A small turmeric Ganesha is prepared and placed on the plate, and a piece of jaggery is placed as naivedyam. And the Satyanarayan pooja story begins with the prayer of Lord Ganesha
- After Ganesh Puja, Navgraha Pooja and then Kalash Pooja is done.
- With the Satyanarayan Vrat Katha or the Story of Lord Satyanarayan starts the main pooja of Lord Satyanarayan.
- The Satyanarayan pooja sahitya consists story is of five parts. The pooja describes the benefits and the experiences of the pooja attained by others.
- The katha also included the repercussions of the offences done by individuals towards Lord Satyanarayan or the offences done by them during the pooja. The katha even describes the effects of it on the individual’s present birth and the next birth.
- The invited persons should be present during the Katha, and it should be chanted or heard carefully and peacefully.
- In the Pooja all the devotees bow in front of Lord Satyanarayan and ask for the forgiveness of sins and blessings.
- After the Katha, Aarti is done,and then Prasadam is distributed among devotees,and the fast is broken by having it.
If you want to know the proper rituals, talk to our experts.
To Get Your Personalized Solutions, Talk To An Astrologer Now!
With Ganesha’s Grace,
The GaneshaSpeaks Team