We have seen her everywhere, holding her veena, sitting in a lotus, and with a peacock behind her. The goddess of knowledge, wisdom, music, and art, Maa Saraswati is known by everyone.
It is believed that Maa Saraswati was born from the mouth of Lord Brahma, the creator of the universe. Since she was born from the mouth of Lord Brahma, she is considered to be the goddess of speech and music as well. According to the legend, Lord Brahma was mesmerised by her beauty and wanted to marry her. Therefore can sometimes also be seen as the consort of Lord Brahma.
Her worshipping, the Saraswati Puja, is done twice a year. Once on the day of Vasant Panchmi in January/February and another on the sixth day of Sharadiya Navratri. Here we are talking about the Saraswati Puja 2020 during this Navratri.
Why is Saraswati Puja Special?
As we have mentioned, Maa Saraswati is the Goddess of wisdom, knowledge, and learning. These aspects of one’s life are indeed prominent for people to succeed. Therefore, especially for students, blessings of Maa Saraswati are pertinent. Even if you are learning something new, or preparing for exams, blessings of Goddess Saraswati can take you far. People worship and pray to Maa Saraswati for a bright future and day-to-day success in life.
Saraswati Puja During Navratri 2020 Date:
Saraswati Puja falls on the sixth day of the Sharad Navratri. For 2020, this Puja is to be performed on 22 October, Thursday.
Saraswati Puja Muhurat:
Here are important timings for the day of Saraswati Puja, to make the most out of your day.
Sunrise: 06:26 AM
Sunset: 05:44 PM
Purva Ashadha Nakshatra Begins: 01:13 AM on 22 October 2020
Purva Ashadha Nakshatra Ends: 12:59 AM on 23 October 2020
Purva Ashadha Puja Muhurat: 07:10 AM to 01:06 PM (05 Hours 56 Min)
Now, that you know the timings, let’s dive into the rituals to be followed for the Saraswati Puja.
Saraswati Puja Rituals
- First and foremost, you will need an idol or Picture of Maa Saraswati.
- To perform Saraswati Puja, you will need a Copper Kalash (pot), with water infused with fragrant materials and spices in it. Some mango leaves on top along with coconut placed above them.
- Coconut can be decorated with turmeric, Chandan, and kumkum pastes. You will also need white cloth, flowers, bel leaves, oil and wick, camphor, incense sticks, and betel leaves.
- An offering of your choice to the Goddess should also be there.
- Before we begin Saraswati Puja, Ganesh Puja is performed. You should offer Ganesha water, flowers, Chandan and some offerings, and pray that Puja gets completed successfully. It can help you in removing visible and invisible obstacles in your life. For attaining best results, Ganesh Puja must be performed by accurately following Vedic rituals and stotras. In case you are unsure of Vedic processes, our expert Pandits can help you to perform your personalized Ganesh Puja along with the recitation of Ganapati Atharvashirsh online to boost your wisdom and gain sharp intellect.
- End the Puja with an Arti to Maa Saraswati and pray for her blessings.
Saraswati Puja Mantra:
Here are some mantras, which you can chant while performing the rituals of the Saraswati Puja. Before you begin, chant these mantras and seek blessings from Maa Saraswati.
शुक्लां ब्रह्मविचार सार परमामाद्यां जगद्व्यापिनीं
हस्ते स्फटिकमालिकां विदधतीं पद्मासने संस्थिताम्
वन्दे तां परमेश्वरीं भगवतीं बुद्धिप्रदां शारदाम्॥
This is the mantra you can chant before you start the Puja. During the Puja, you need to chant the Beej mantra 21 times, which is as follows:
ॐ ऐं ह्रीं क्लीं महासरस्वती देव्यै नमः
While offering some water, bel leaves, flowers, fruits to Maa Saraswati, chant the following mantra:
ॐ सरस्वती मया दृष्ट्वा, वीणा पुस्तक धारणीम् ।
हंस वाहिनी समायुक्ता मां विद्या दान करोतु में ॐ ।।
Conclude the Saraswati Puja with an Arti dedicated to Maa Saraswati.
Various names and Forms of Maa Saraswati
In various parts of the world, Maa Saraswati is worshipped by different names and different avatars such as:
Mahasaraswati (Eight armed Goddess), Neel Saraswati (Worshipped as the destroyer of Enemies), Sharada (in Kashmir and North India), Vanidayini (Provider of Speech), Swardayini (Provider of Music and Musical Notes), Gyandayini (provider of knowledge), and Vagdevi (the goddess of speech).
Saraswati Puja is an opportunity for us to worship the goddess of wisdom and learning, to get rid of lethargy and make ourselves better with the knowledge she bestows. We wish you a Happy Navratri and a fruitful Saraswati Puja.
To Get Your Personalized Solutions, Talk To An Astrologer Now!
With Ganesha’s Grace,
The GaneshaSpeaks.com Team