Indeed, India is a land of diversity and immense cultural richness. And this is expressed in the myriads of festivals that are celebrated here. One of the prominent festivals celebrated with much fanfare in India is Anant Chaturthi, the festival which marks the end of the 10-days long Ganesh Festival. Well, Ganesha Chaturthi – the festival which celebrates the greatness of the harbinger of all things good – Lord Ganesha, is now on the verge of completion. This year, the grand occasion of Anant Chaturdashi falls on September 19, 2021, Sunday. The Ganesh Visarjan vidhi or bidding adieu to the great Lord is done with as much fanfare and spirit, as the Ganesha Pooja is done. But yes, there is one thing in common – almost everyone's heart is a bit heavy on this day, as there is a nostalgic and emotional feeling about the elephant God going away from us.
Anant Chaturdashi 2021 Date:
Anant Chaturdashi Puja Muhurat - 06:27 AM to 05:28 AM, Sep 20
Duration - 23 Hours 00 Mins
Chaturdashi Tithi Begins - 05:59 AM on Sep 19, 2021
Chaturdashi Tithi Ends - 05:28 AM on Sep 20, 2021
There are no strict rules; usually, the Ganesh Visarjan ceremony depends on the family tradition. Symbolically, Lord Ganesha comes home on the auspicious day of Ganesh Chaturthi and it is up to us to decide when we want to give Lord Ganesha the farewell. But, it is considered best to immerse the idol before the Sunset.
You can also chant this prayer during the Ganesh Visarjan:
Ganesh Visarjan Mantras:
“Mushikavaahana modaka hastha
Chaamara karna vilambitha sutra
Vaamana rupa maheshwara putra
Vighna vinaayaka paada namasthe”
“O Lord! the son of Lord Shiva and the Destroyer of all obstacles with a mouse as Thy vehicle, with sweet pudding in hand, with wide ears and long hanging trunk, I prostrated at Thy lotus-like Feet!”
It is recommended to conduct a Ganesh Puja from the professionals with authentic rituals. It will remove obstacles and let you achieve prosperity in life.
Anant Chaturdashi Story
There is also a story related to the God Anant. There is a girl named Sushila whose father was Brahmin who remarried Karkash after Sushila’s mother passed away. Karkash was not so nice with Sushila, hence, Sushila moved away from her house, once she got married. Her husband was called Kaundinya. On their way to home, they found a river and went for a bath. Sushila saw some women praying and joined them and asked them about their prayer. Women explained about the Lord Anant and the significance of its vow. As Sushila was about to start a new life with her husband, she thought that it is best to pray and take the blessings from Lord Ananat for a prosperous future life. She followed all the rituals, took the vow, and tied a ceremonial thread on her left hand.
One day Kaundinya questions the blessings of Ananta as he believed that whatever he achieved is due to his hard work and intelligence. Sushila and Kaundinya argued over this point and took away the anant string and threw it in the fire. After it, they experienced many misfortunes and it ended in them driven to poverty. Hence, then Kaundinya realised that it is the Ananta strings and rituals which was the reason behind the happiness and prosperity. Kundaniya goes through severe penance and ask for forgiveness from Ananta who revealed himself as a God Vishnu.
How to Perform Anant Puja & Ganesh Visarjan Vidhi?
- Perform Aarti before Ganesha Visarjan. Be present with all the family members. The traditional Ganesh Mantras, the Aarti and prayers should be chanted.
- Start the Ganpati Visarjan vidhi with Morning Aarti.
- Sing the “Jai Ganesh Deva” chants while performing Aartis
- Distribute holy Prasad among all the family members.
- Offer five items – Oil lamps, Flowers, Incense, Fragrance and well-prepared delicacies to Lord Ganpati.
- When it is time for ganpati Visarjan, the family members should gather once again to perform Aarti before leaving the house.
- Five minutes prior to leaving the house, move the idol very slowly and slightly, about 1 inch forward. In short, you have to change the position of the idol a bit, which marks the completion of the Lord's stay at your place. It is important to take Him for Visarjan with all family members.
- Be grateful to Lord Ganesha for visiting your home and convey your heart's message to the Lord. Thank him for bringing prosperity and auspiciousness to your home. Thank him for taking away all difficulties with him. Gratitude is what matters the most to the Lord.
- Sprinkle raw rice mixed with turmeric (Akshat) upon the lord. Spoon Feed curd to Ganesha as a remembrance.
- Take a red cloth, keep dry coconut stuffed with jaggery and 5 different grains (including rice). Tie it in a knot around Ganesha’s hand. This is the food prepared for His journey.
- Take some water and sprinkle it on the person performing the Ganesh Visarjan.
- Pick up the Ganesh idol and take Him around the House, mainly the master bedrooms and the kitchen so that His Holy Gaze and Blessings fall on the full house.
- Chant “Ganapati Bappa Moriya '' and other Ganesha slokas.
- Walk out of home and move towards the immersion point.
- Take a Coconut and circle it on the head of the Idol three times and break the coconut on the ground and leave it aside. .
- Don’t take this as a prasad rather immerse it with the idol.
- Once done, family members can proceed to the Ganesh Visarjan area, where once again the Aartis should be performed before finally letting him go.
- The person performing the Ganesh Visarjan should remove all garlands and other decorations on the Ganesha idol.
- Do not throw the removed garlands and decorations in the river. You can dispose or donate them at the appropriate place.
- Now, immerse the idol of Lord Ganesha.
Lord Ganesha’s blessings will remain with you and your family and he will take away all pains and problems and bless you with Peace, Prosperity and Health. You can enhance his blessings by owning Ganesh yantra as it will derive various benefits for your life.
What you should immerse and what you should take back with you after Ganesh Visarjan?
Immerse the Following Things:
- The Main Idol
- The Kalash
- The water in the kalash
- The contents
What If you Wish to Bring Ganpati Home Next Year?
Take back the following things:
- Sand near the immersion site.
- The new coconut.
We wish you a very prosperous and vibrant Anant Chaturdashi!
Attract Good Luck With Your Personalised Horoscope On The Auspicious Day Of Anant Chaturdashi! - Talk To Expert Astrologer Now!
With Ganesha's Grace,
The GaneshaSpeaks.com Team
Astrologers trained by Shri Bejan Daruwalla.