Varamahalakshmi Vrata or Varalakshmi Nombu is a festival to propitiate the Goddess Lakshmi, the consort of Lord Vishnu, one of the Hindu Trinity. The Varalakshmi fasting is observed on the last Friday during Shravana Shukla Paksha and falls just a few days ahead of Rakhi and Shravana Purnima.
Significance of Varalakshmi Vrat
Varalakshmi Vrat also known as Varamahalaxmi Vratham this year is on July 31, 2020. It is a festival dedicated to Goddess Lakshmi. On this day, a special Lakshmi pooja is performed to please Goddess of wealth and prosperity. It is believed that the Varalakshmi form of the goddess bestows boons and fulfils all desires of her devotees. Hence this form of the goddess is known as Vara + Lakshmi, i.e. Goddess Lakshmi who bestows boons.
The Main Legend ( Story-Vrat Katha)
This is a pooja that was pronounced by Lord Parameswara to be performed by his consort Parvathi to seek prosperity and happiness for the family. It is believed that Goddess Parvati observed the fast for her beloved consort and the prosperity and happiness of her family, and since then it has been a popular tradition for women across South India to observe the Varalaxmi Vrat or Varalaxmi Vratam on the Shukla Paksha of Shravana month. In some cases, women prayed for being blessed with children.
Ask our astrologer the detailed Varalakshmi Vrat Katha.
Rituals (Varalakshmi Vratham Procedures)
While men and women can perform the Vrata, it is generally the women of the family, who observe the fast to seek blessings for the well-being of her family members.
1. On this auspicious day, women wake up early, observe the ritualistic fast and perform the Varalakshmi Pooja, in which they offer fresh sweets and flowers to the Goddess.
2. Women observing the Varalakshmi Puja abstain from eating certain foods which may also vary from region to region.
3. A Kalash or brass pot(representing the deity) is wrapped and decorated with a saree. A swastika symbol is drawn with kumkum and sandalwood paste. The Kalash pot is filled with raw rice or water, coins, five different kinds of leaves, and beetle nut.
4. Finally, some mango leaves are placed on the mouth of the Kalash, and a coconut smeared with turmeric is used to close the mouth of the Kalash. A sacred thread that is tied during Varalakshmi Puja is called the Dorak.
5. The sweets and offerings placed in front of the deity are known as Vayana.
6. During the evening, an aarti is offered to the Goddess.
7. The following day, the water from the Kalash is sprinkled around the house. If rice grains were one of the components in the Kalash, then they are used to prepare a rice meal or Prasad for the family the next day.
Know the rituals to be followed while observing the fast of Varamahalakshmi festival. Talk to our Astrologer!
Mantra to chant
The following Mantra must be recited on the day of Varalakshmi Vrat to envoke the blessings of Goddess Lakshmi:
|| Om Hreem Shreem Lakshmibhayo Namah ||
Important dates and tithi timings for Varalakshmi Vrat 2020 | Panchang
Simha Lagna Puja Muhurat (morning) - 07:25 AM to 09:36 AM on July 31, 2020
Vrishchika Lagna Puja Muhurat (afternoon) - 02:02 PM to 04:17 PM on July 31, 2020
Kumbha Lagna Puja Muhurat (evening) - 08:09 PM to 09:42 PM on July 31, 2020
Vrishabha Lagna Puja Muhurat (midnight) - 12:53 AM to 02:51 AM, on Aug 01, 2020
To know the detailed Varalakshmi Vrat Vidhi Talk to our astrologer now!
To Get Your Personalized Solutions, Talk To An Astrologer Now!
With Ganesha’s Grace,
The GaneshaSpeaks.com Team