Varuthini Ekadashi is also popular as Baruthini Ekadashi. It is an auspicious day where devotees pray and worship the Vaman or Dwarf form (incarnation) of Lord Vishnu. Varuthini means ‘protected’ and thus there is a religious belief that observing fast and penance on this day helps a person to get himself redeemed from all his past and future sins, and attain Moksha.
Varuthini Ekadashi 2020 Date And Timings
Varuthini Ekadashi is observed during Krishna Paksha of Vaishaka month, as per the North Indian Purnima calendar, and Krishna Paksha of Chaitra month, as per the South Indian Amavasya calendar. Despite the difference in months, both North and South Indians observe it on the same day. Varuthini Ekadashi will occur on Saturday,18 April 2020 with Ekadashi Tithi commencing from 08:03 PM on 17 April 2020 and ending on 18 April at 10:17 PM. On 19 April 2020, Parana time will range between 06:16 AM to 08:49 AM and the Dwadashi moment will end on the same day that is 20 April at 12:42 AM.
Parana means the breaking of fast. Ekadashi Parana is done after sunrise on the next day of Ekadashi fast. Observing Parana within the Dwadashi period, which gets over before sunrise, is considered very important as not adhering to the Dwadashi tithi is viewed to be an offense.
About Varuthini Ekadashi And Its Significance
Varuthini Ekadashi is significant because it has been mentioned in several Hindu scriptures. It was also narrated by Lord Krishna to Dharamraj Yuthistara in the form of a conversation, as stated in the Bhavishya Purana. It is believed that devotees who observe a fast and strictly adhere to the rules of Varuthini Ekadashi gain redemption from their past and future sins, and evil deeds to succeed in the path of attaining Moksha or salvation. Charity or acts of donation help people in getting divine blessings, not only from deities, but also from their deceased ancestors.
Are you feeling stressed in life? If yes, then get rid of unnecessary worries and connect with our experts for Remedial Solutions For Personal Issues. Share your personal problems and get effective and useful remedies.
Varuthini Ekadashi Story and Importance of Fasting
Varuthini Ekadashi is a festival that has many mythological facts connected with its observance. According to Hindu mythology, Lord Shiva’s rage led to the beheading of Lord Brahma’s fifth head. Lord Brahma cursed Lord Shiva who resorted to severe fasting and penance to get rid of the curse. It was the day of Varuthini Ekadashi when Lord Shiva fasted and freed himself from the clutches of the curse. Thus, it is believed that devotees who observe fast and perform the Varuthini Ekadashi rituals can get themselves redeemed from their trespasses.
In some cultures, young women observe fast on this day to get suitable grooms. While in Hindu marriage, where ‘Kanyadaan’ or giving away a daughter’s hand for marriage is considered a sacred thing, observing a single day fast during this period is also considered auspicious and equivalent to thousand years of penance.
Varuthini Ekadashi Rituals/Puja Vidhi
People devotedly adhere to rituals connected to Varuthini Ekadashi. Here a few noteworthy points that are taken into account on this day:
- On this day, devotees wake up early in the morning, bathe and start making necessary preparations for Varuthini Ekadashi puja or rituals.
- They offer Dhoop, sandalwood paste, incense sticks, fruits, and flowers to evoke Lord Vishnu.
- A ‘Satvik’ or clean vegetarian meal is consumed during the day. However, some devotees restrict themselves to single meals and manage the day on fruits or juices. While some strictly refrain from eating a single grain or even drinking a drop of water and break their fast only by consuming a full diet the next day.
- Donating food to the needy and clothes to Brahmins is an essential part of the fasting period.
- People avoid consumption of whole grains or pulses such as chickpeas, rice, lentils, and black gram. It is a custom to not eat in bell metal utensils as well.
- Abstaining from liquor and sexual activity is highly recommended. Moreover people are asked to control their emotions and foster ill-feelings for others.
To Get Your Personalized Solutions, Talk To An Astrologer Now!
With Ganesha’s Grace,
The GaneshaSpeaks.com Team