If you are in 2019 then you will have to wait for Paush Amavasya till 2021.
According to the Vedic calendar, the last date of Krishna Paksha in Paush month is called Paush Amavasya. Worship of Sun God in Paush month has special significance. According to religious belief, many religious works are performed on the new moon day. Tarpan and Shradh are performed on this day for the peace of the souls of ancestors. Fasting is also observed on this day to get rid of Pitra Dosh and Kaal Sarp Dosh.
Two new moons falling in the month of Paush in 2019
The coincidence of Paush Amavasya in any year is quite rare. In some year, two new moon dates fall in Paush month, then not even one in some year. In such a situation, this special coincidence is happening in the year 2019. In the year 2019, Paush Amavasya is falling twice i.e. on 5th January and 26th December, which is a rare coincidence. The special thing is that in the month of Paush of the year 2020, there is no new moon date. In such a situation, if you have to take any special measures on Paush Amavasya, then instead of waiting for a year, do it in 2019 itself. If you miss then you will have to wait till 2021. In the year 2021, Paush Amavasya will fall on Wednesday, January 13.
Religious rituals on the day of Paush Amavasya
1. There is a special significance of offering tarpan to ancestors on Paush Amavasya. On this day, after bathing in a river, reservoir or pool, offer Arghya to the Sun God. After this, offer obeisances to the ancestors.
2. Arghya should be offered to Sun God by pouring pure water, red sandalwood and red colored flowers in a copper vessel.
3. For the peace of the souls of the ancestors, fast and give charity to a poor person.
4. Those who have Pitra Dosh and child inferior yoga in their horoscope, they must fast on the day of Paush Amavasya and offer tarpan to the ancestors.
5. Peepal tree should be worshiped on the new moon day. Tulsi plant should be circumambulated.
6. By observing the fast of Paush Amavasya, the ancestors get peace and their wishes are fulfilled.
Significance of Paush Amavasya
Paush month is said to be very virtuous and fruitful. This month is best for religious and spiritual contemplation. Brahma, Indra, Surya, Agni, Vayu, Rishi, Animals and Birds are also satisfied by observing fast on Paush Amavasya for the peace of ancestors.
With the blessings of Ganeshji,