It is one of those things which we experience a day in and day out, but we are just not aware of it. If you are in a pleasant mood and someone comes and shouts on your face, your mood is spoiled. Here the loud unpleasant sound made your mood gloomy. Just like this, there are pleasant sounds or frequencies, listening to which can heal you, also known as Sound Bath Healing. Understanding these sounds and basically using them for the betterment of humans is known as Sound Bath. Sound Bath Therapy is also used to treat diseases. Different sources of sounds like gongs, singing bowls, chimes, rattles, tuning forks, and even human voice are used to produce a specific frequency and the meditators are made to take a relaxed position, and the vibrations produced by these sounds are allowed to wash your body. You might not realize it instantly, but your body is highly absorptive of the sound vibrations happening around you.
There are different types of baths that were used anciently to treat and heal humans, like water bath, fire bath, air bath, mud bath and so on and so forth. Depending on the doshas or the diseases, it would be prescribed by the ancient practitioners. You would find some ancient therapies still available in South India, where just by different types of baths, a specific disease is cured.
Now let us look at some of the sound bath sounds or frequencies that have a positive effect on us. Check on the major benefits of key brainwave frequencies.
- Gamma: Improves learning capacity, concentration, and self-control power
- Beta: Boosts energy levels, enhance focus, alertness, and clear thinking
- Alpha: Helps with headaches, memory, mild anxiety, and creative flow states
- Theta: Supports emotional processing, allows deep relaxation, intuition, memory consolidation
- Delta/sub-delta: Helps in pain relief, improves immune function, healing, and deep sleep
The combination and deeper understanding of these two sciences gave rise to Sound Bath. Just being in the right kind of reverberation, your mind, body, and soul would start to behave in a particular way.
Sound engineers sitting in the recording studio are the people who use this art on a daily basis. All the technicians involved in background music in an audiovisual use this technique. These days even news has the music being played behind it. The problem with these professionals is that they are using frequencies as per the demand of the story, which might have an ill effect on your body. They play sad frequencies, anxious frequencies, horror frequencies, and happy and pleasant frequencies as per the emotion depicted on screen. You can experiment with watching a horror movie with music being mute, and can bet the effect will be minimized drastically.
The Sound Bath
- Ancient Wisdom
- Meaning Of Sound Bath Meditation
- Tools for Sound Bath Sounds
- Benefits Of Sound Bath Meditation
- Preparing for the Sound Bath Meditation
- How To Get a Sound Bath Therapy
- Contraindications to the Sound Bath Healing
- Sound Bath Meditation For Beginners
- Looking Forward to the Sound Bath Healing
To understand how important sound is to human existence, let us take a reference sound. “Om,” as we are all aware, is the sound of creation. Every sound, music, or language has originated from these three syllables. All the ancient cultures around the world have taken the science of sound into consideration. Mantras in Hindu culture, Azan and Ayat in Islam culture, Biblic verses in Christianity, chanting in Buddhism, so on and so forth. All the ancient languages are also engineered keeping in mind the science of sound and reverberation, so knowingly or unknowingly we all are a part of this science. Research shows that, if you keep a plant in an absolutely soundproof or reverberation-proof place, even after giving it water, manure, and sunlight, it would cease to exist, so would we.
Meaning Of Sound Bath Meditation
You are in an atmosphere that is filled with healthy healing sounds. The sound waves reach through your ears to your brain but the reverberation of the sound is absorbed by your whole body. This is called Sound Bath Healing.
Tools for Sound Bath Sounds
The instructors in a sound energy studio use different frequencies depending on the intended well-being of his/her clients. These vibrations or reverberations could be produced using multiple tools available today. These sounds work and communicate on the cellular level of your body. This is good for physical and emotional balancing.
The tools commonly used during sound bathing sessions are Tibetan singing bowl, crystal singing bowl, tuning forks, crystal pyramid, chimes, gong, drum, modern digital sounds.
Benefits Of Sound Bath Meditation
Let us find the health benefits of Sound Bath meditation.
- Relaxes both the body and mind.
- Reduces anxiety and tension
- Enhances concentration, clarity, and emphasis
- Reduces stress and exhaustion
- Enhances sleep
- Boosts spiritual well-being.
The awareness of the Sound Bath has grown leaps and bounds. The Tibetian singing bowls have become a household product these days. Similarly, crystal bowls are also very popular these days. You can get one for yourself and experiment with it. Let’s now see how to prepare for the sound bath at the comfort of your home.
Preparing for a Sound Bath Meditation
- Relax. Be open to new. Let go of any preconceived notions
- Keep yourself hydrated as vibrations of sound travel easily through water
- Eat light. A sound bath provides huge benefits on an empty stomach
- Wear comfortable loose clothes
- Be early and punctual so as to avoid the anxiety of being late
- Settle yourself in a quiet place with a calm mind
How To Get the Sound Bath Therapy
You can either join the Sound Bath therapy studio or do it at home. There is a lot of digital help available online, but a live sound and an experienced practitioner would simplify a lot of your efforts. It could be done in groups or on an individual basis. The frequencies can be customized as per your individual requirements. We are made up of 70% water, so the sounds affect every cell in our body.
- During the sound bath therapy session, you lie down on a yoga mat. Make sure to use cushions to make yourself perfectly at ease.
- Then you focus on your breath for a few minutes to relax
- Then various sound frequencies are used
- The frequencies of these sounds interact and communicate with mind and body and help you achieve a higher state of consciousness such as during meditation.
It may also release emotions trapped in your mind, which you may or may not be aware of, which were accumulated from past experiences. Hence, it is normal to be overjoyed or sad during the session. Be open and accepting to whatever the outcome is.
Contraindications to Sound Bath Healing
Avoid Sound Bath Healing without expert advice:
- If you are pregnant
- If you have epilepsy
- If you have mental health issues
- If you have implants or plates in your body
- If you are a minor
- If you have a temperature or if you are sick
Sound Bath Meditation For Beginners
As there are no proven side effects to Sound Bath meditation, it is recommended to be your own judge. Make sure the Sound Bath meditation instructor is well aware of what he or she is doing. They should have quite a bit of experience. If you feel uneasy or uncomfortable with a specific frequency, talk to the instructor. There have been a few cases of headache, placebo effect, lack of effective treatment. Remember, Sound Bath meditation is best when used as a complementary therapy, not your only therapy for cure.
Looking Forward to Sound Bath Healing
Sound Bath healing usually begins with a gentle breathing practice that gradually calms the mind. To feel safe and relaxed, you will probably be advised to lie down in a savasana or a comfortable supine position. The session could last anywhere between 60 and 90 minutes. The teacher will use focused breathing to get you back to reality at the end of the session.
Sound bath healing has a different effect on each person. It could put you in a deep state of relaxation or an altered state of consciousness, or you may even fall asleep, which is perfectly normal. To set the tone, the room is usually dimly lit.
Personal sound bathing sessions typically cost higher compared to group sessions. Nevertheless, always seek reliable agencies that provide cost-effective services.