Vat Savitri Vrat or Vat Purnima Vrat: Find the Truth
Vat Purnima Vrat is the Indian Hindu fasting day for the married women who pray to the banyan tree in honour of Goddess Gauri and Satyavan-Savitri for fortune, well-being, long life and prosperity of their husbands and peaceful married life. Devotees in Northern India follow the fast on the Jyeshtha Amavasya or dark moon day, whereas devotees in the Southern Indian states observe the fast on the Jyestha Purnima or full moon day. Married Hindu women dress up in a bridal garment with elegant jewellery and apply vermillion on the forehead after taking an auspicious bath. They maintain a strict fast throughout the night and break it the next day when the Purnima is over. They offer water, rice, and flowers to the Banyan tree, sprinkle vermillion, tie the trunk of the tree with cotton threads and circumambulate the holy banyan tree 108 times. These lovely married women are determined to remain loyal to their spouse and cherish being with their present husband even in the next birth. Vat Savitri Vrat is, thus, the symbol of dedication and commitment to marital bliss.
Want to improve your relationships with your spouse? Talk to Experts on Relationships.
History of Vat Savitri
Savitri was the daughter of King Ashvapati, married to the Satyavan who was cursed to die a year after the marriage. After one year of marriage, Satyavan felt weak and passed away in the lap of her wife. Savitri does not accept his death and rebels with Yamraj about this misfortune. She pleaded to Yamraj to not take her husband away. Yamraj became impressed with the dedication of Savitri and granted her three boons, but kept a condition that she will not ask for the life of Satyavan. Then, Savitri asked for the 100 children of her and Satyavan. Yamraj once again impressed by Savitri and granted her another boon but without any condition. Finally, Savitri asked for the life of her husband.
Important Date And Timings For Vat Savitri Vrat 2021
Vat Savitri Vrat 2021Date: 9th June 2021
Amavasya Tithi Begins: 01:57 PM on Jun 09, 2021
Amavasya Tithi Ends: 04:22 PM on Jun 10, 2021
Satyavan-Savitri Story-The Legend of Vat Purnima Vrat:
Princess Savitri fell in love with Satyavan and was made aware of the news that Satyavan was destined to die within a year but she promised not to let him die. As predicted, one year later Satyavan died in the forest while cutting wood under a banyan tree and Yamraj came to collect his soul. Savitri constantly begged for his life. Yamraj was impressed by the devotion of Savitri and gave back her husband's life.
The Satyavan-Savitri story tells the true bonding of the husband-wife relationship and the essence of true married life.
Are you a married woman and feeling detached from your husband? Are you facing depression due to your relationship? Consult expert astrologers!
Get personalised help from our specialized astrologer
Puja Samagri List:
- Vat Savitri Yantra
- Satyavan-Savitri Photo
- Vat Savitri Panchamrit preparation: Honey, milk, yoghurt, sugar, ghee
- Vat Savitri Vrat Katha Book
- Camphor, cardamom, Betel Nut, Kesar, sandalwood powder, turmeric powder, vermillion, Almonds, durva, perfume, incense sticks, fruits, sweets, flowers, coconut, mango, white cloth, red thread, and Ganga Jal.
Ensure that you prepare all these ingredients beforehand, so you do not end up missing any auspicious puja ingredients during the time of performing puja vidhi.
Vat Purnima Vrat Puja Vidhi:
- As a Hindu married woman, begin the Vat Savitri Vrat on the Trayodashi.
- On the first day of the fast, apply sesame paste and amla (Indian gooseberry).
- Consume the roots of the Banyan tree during Vat Savitri Vrat.
- Paint a Banyan tree on wood or plate with turmeric or sandalwood paste and worship this for the next three days.
- On the fourth day of the fast, wake up early in the morning and take a ritual bath.
- Establish the idols of Satyavan-Savitri and Yamraj at the banyan tree.
- Wear a bridal garment along with jewellery and vermilion on your forehead.
- Offer prayers to the Banyan tree. Also, pray to Savitri who should be worshipped as a deity.
- Sprinkle vermillion around the tree and tie yellow or red coloured sacred threads around the trunk of the tree.
- Now, move around the banyan tree seven times and chant prayers.
- If you are still an unmarried girl, you can dress in a yellow sari and pray to get a good husband for your future.
- Break your fast on the Purnima by having the prasad which includes wet pulses, mango, jack fruits, banana, and lemon.
The Significance of Vat Purnima Vrat:
The Vat or Banyan tree has a great significance in Hinduism. The banyan tree represents three supreme deities of Hindu- Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva. Vat Savitri Vrat is observed by married women for three days and begins two days prior to the Amavasya or Purnima in the Jyestha month. It is believed that by observing this fast, married women are able to bring good luck and fortune for their husbands the way pious and committed Savitri brought her husband's life back from the jaws of death.
Unveil what’s hidden in your husband’s destiny with your Free Janamkundli Report
Rules and Benefits of Vat Purnima Vrat:
On this auspicious day, women take a holy bath in the morning. This holy bath is considered to be the purification of mind and body. Married women who wish to conduct this vrat and puja, wear new colourful clothes, bright bangles, and apply vermillion on the forehead. They put one leaf of Banyan on their hair. Women also offer Nine types of fruits to the Goddess Savitri. Wet pulses, rice, mangos, jackfruits, palm fruits, kendu, bananas and several other fruits are offered as Bhoga (offering) and the rest of the day is observed with Savitri Vrat Katha. Once ladies complete their vrat, they consume the Bhogal and take blessings from the husband and the elders in the family.
It is believed that Vat Savitri Vrat blesses married Hindu women with a better life and good fortune. If a married Hindu woman observes the fast with devotion, she will be able to bring good luck, long life, and prosperity for her husband. Women performing all the rituals of Vat Savitri Vrat, enjoy a happy and peaceful married life.
Attract Good Luck With Your Personalised Horoscope On The Auspicious Day Of Vat Savitri Vrat! - Talk To Expert Astrologer Now!
With Ganesha's Grace,
The GaneshaSpeaks.com Team
Astrologers trained by Shri Bejan Daruwalla.