- Gautam Buddha
His body left us in the ancient period. But His eternal soul didn’t. His spirituality didn’t. His teachings will live on forever. Yes, Gautama Buddha is truly the greatest teacher of mankind. Come! let’s commemorate mankind’s truest friend on this Buddha Purnima or Buddha Jayanti famously known as Vesak or Buddha Day.
About Buddha Purnima Or Buddha Jayanti
Buddha Purnima or Buddha Jayanti, popularly known as Vesak, is commemorated as the birthday of Prince Siddhartha Gautama, the founder of Buddhism. Since Buddha was born, attained enlightenment and Nirvana on Purnima, the full moon period, the day is known as Buddha Purnima. As Buddha’s Birthday also falls in the Hindu month of Vaishakha, Buddha Jayanti is popular as Vesak in the East Asian countries like China, Korea, Japan, Thailand, Sri Lanka where Buddhism reached its peak of popularity. Buddha Purnima or Buddha Jayanti is remembered as the journey of Lord Buddha’s Birthday, enlightenment, and death. Since Buddha Purnima celebration commemorates the three significant events in the life of Gautama Buddha, Vesak holds immense religious significance for the followers of Buddhism sects. Therefore, Vesak or Buddha Purnima is considered the biggest festival amongst the Buddhist community across India who celebrates every moment of it with sincerity and honesty. The devotees enjoy Vesak or Buddha Purnima celebration this full moon day by maintaining Buddha Purnima rituals like having fast and serving to humanity.
Since Gautama Buddha was born in a Hindu Kshatriya family belonging to Ikshvaku dynasty, Buddha’s birthday- known as Buddha Purnima or Buddha Jayanti (Vesak) has an incredible significance in Hinduism. Lord Buddha is believed to be the ninth avatar of Lord Vishnu. Therefore, Buddha Purnima or Buddha Jayanti (Vesak) is an auspicious day even for the Hindus and is observed with full devotion in India. Buddha Purnima or Buddha Jayanti (Vesak) is declared a public holiday by the Government of India.
Vesak 2019 Or Buddha Purnima 2019 Date:
May 18th 2019, Saturday
Astrological Significance Of Buddha Purnima 2019:
“Three things cannot be long hidden: THE SUN, THE MOON and THE TRUTH”
Gautama Buddha was born with Cancer Ascendant and Moon in Libra whereas Sun is posited in the mighty Mars. The best part in Gautam Buddha’s birthday Horoscope is that the Moon is aspected by five planets-Sun, Jupiter, Venus, Mars and Saturn that made His mind extremely strong.
To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to your family, to shower upon peace to every member of your family, you must first control your own mind. Remember, it is your own mind, and not your enemy, that guides you to commit evil acts. If you can control your mind, Ganesha feels that all virtue will naturally follow you and you can ultimately find the way to Enlightenment.
Therefore, to control your mind, you should strengthen your Moon in your horoscope.
Like Buddha, if you were born under the Full Moon, you are born idealist. You may spend most of your time searching for truth. Like Buddha, you may also find difficult to continue the pleasures of relationship in this material world. Eventually, you will adopt spirituality or religion or dedicate your life to a good cause.
Benefits Of Vesak-Buddha Purnima Or Buddha Jayanti:
“HEALTH is the Greatest Gift, CONTENTMENT the Greatest Wealth, FAITHFULNESS the Best Relationship”
Lord Buddha is your ideal guide to achieving mental peace and bliss. He taught the world the actual differences between luxury and simplicity. Do you know the reason why we are suffering? Because we give much importance to our affection to the material pleasures. This Vesak or Buddha Day, you should follow the “Eightfold path” in order to welcome the peace of mind. You can’t enjoy Vesak or Buddha Purnima celebration from your heart without maintaining Eightfold Path.
Right View or Understanding- Know the truth
Right Intention- Free your mind of bad thoughts
Right Speech- Don’t hurt others
Right Action – Work for the good of others
Right Livelihood – Maintain an ethical standard in life
Right Effort – Resist evil
Right Mindfulness – Practice meditation
Right Concentration- Control your thoughts
This Vesak or Buddha Purnima, if you strongly follow this Eightfold Path, Ganesha says:
- You will be free from all your sufferings.
- You will gain complete peace of mind.
- You will bring harmony by your own virtues and good conducts and ethics.
- You will purify your mind and thoughts only when you will attract goodness and positive aura around you. Then, you will remain positive and inspire others to be positive in life.
- You will strengthen your mind.
- Those of you who are suffering from the malefic effects of Saturn Sade Sati must maintain Eightfold Path along with other mantras. You will not only release your mental pressure but also boost confidence and get effective results in every sphere of life.
Vesak Or Buddha Purnima Rituals:
Buddha Purnima or Buddha Jayanti (Vesak) indicates calmness and tells us to follow a simple and honest path laid by Gautam Buddha. Follow the simple and unselfish way of Buddha Purnima celebration.
- Buddha Purnima or Buddha Jayanti(Vesak) is about honesty, humanity, and freedom. So, during Vesak or Buddha Purnima celebration, give freedom to those birds and animals in the cages.
- Decorate the Bodhi tree with flags and flowers on Buddha Purnima or Buddha Jayanti (Vesak).
- Lit the lamps around the Bodhi tree.
- Pour holy water at the roots of the Bodhi tree on Buddha Purnima or Buddha Jayanti (Vesak).
- Practise meditation.
- Recite the holy sermons of Gautam Buddha’s life on the day of Buddha Purnima or Buddha Jayanti (Vesak).
- “Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others”
- Worship Lord Buddha’s statue on the day of Buddha Purnima or Buddha Jayanti (Vesak).
- Offer flowers, candles and many things to those who continuously prostrate before the idol of Gautam Buddha.
- You should wear only white clothes to maintain purity.
- Serve clothes and Kheer (sweet rice porridge) to the poor.
- Remain pure vegetarian during Vesak or Buddha Jayanti.
You should follow ‘Panchsheel’, the five principles on Buddha Purnima or Buddha Jayanti(Vesak).
- Not to Take Life
- Not to Steal
- Not to Lie
- Not to Take Alcohol
- Not to Commit Adultery
Powerful Buddha Purnima Mantra:
Chant this powerful Buddha Mantra in the dawn between 4 am to 7 am.
Om Mani Padme Hum
‘Om’ is the Supreme element and symbol of Generosity that controls your ego
‘Ma’ represents Ethics that controls your jealousy
‘Ni’ signifies Patience controls your passion and desire
‘Pad’ represents Diligence that purifies your ignorance
‘Me’ stands for Renunciation that purifies your greed
‘Hum’ signifies Wisdom and it controls your aggression
Ganesha wishes you a Happy Vesak or Happy Buddha Jayanti.
With Ganesha's Grace,
The GaneshaSpeaks.com Team