7 Stages & Reasons for the Breakup
You have reached a point where everything about the relationship starts becoming overwhelming. The little quirks of your partner that you adored earlier aren’t so anymore, instead they are among the several reasons of your annoyance. The relationship isn’t your happy place anymore. Instead of giving a sense of comfort, it’s the reason for your irritation. There’s lack of communication and even if there’s communication, there’s lack of comprehension anymore. You and your partner reach the brim and it leads to a breakup. It may have been mutually decided or one of you decide to do so. Breakup is the termination of a relationship. This entails the end of a romantic relationship between two individuals. Regardless of the termination of relationship, the feelings, emotions and thoughts aren’t terminated right away. Along with the breakup, the feelings of pain, anguish, sleepless nights and so on are followed, leaving the person in a vulnerable state.
For some people it may take a few days, for some months or even years for others to get over a person. The process of getting over a person isn’t the same for everyone. There is no way to quantify the extent to which the heart might feel crushed.
Reasons for Breaking up
Why Men Break Up?
Lack of Freedom: Freedom can be achieved rather quickly as a result of which an immediate sense of freedom is obtained right after breakup which they feel is lacking while in the relationship.
Discomfort with extreme Emotions: Men tend to feel a sense of discomfort when confronted with extreme emotions hence they avoid such situations very often. This is also due to the societal stereotype abiding to which they suppress their emotions.
Jealousy: Very often, men have a hard time accepting the fact that their potential partner might have an interest in someone else. They might feel jealous but may not accept the fact that they are being jealous.
Disrespecting Personal Choice: Certain women might restrict their partners from interacting with certain people or might demand attention all the time. Due to this, men might end up feeling that their personal choice is not respected and they may want to get out of the relationship. While this might be true for both genders, it is generally a factor found prevalent in men.
Why Women Break Up
Feel a lack of Love: Once this feeling of being loved or loving someone is lost, it takes a long time to come back. As a result of this, generally, when a woman realizes that she has reached the end of her endurance, she tends to breakup with her partner.
Differing Expectations: While men might want their space, women might want their partner around or vice versa. Men have expectations like getting their partner’s support in their decisions while women might expect active participation of their partner in everything they do.
Lack of Consent: Research has shown that women value consent a lot. When they experience a lack of consent from their partner, be it in physical or emotional matters, they tend to move away from the relationship.
Reasons to break up can be galore. But breaking up is not always the solution. Talk to our Relationship experts at Ganeshaspeaks.com to save your relationship from a breakup.
More Expert Psychologist
Stages of Breakup
Generally, people go through certain stages after experiencing a breakup. The five stages of breakup include:
- Denial: While in denial, the brain gets time to adjust to a new situation. In this stage, the person isn’t able to fully accept that a breakup has occurred and keeps on hoping that their partner will return.
- Relapse: The pain becomes so intolerable after a point that you may be convinced or even succeed in convincing your ex to give your relationship another try.
- Anger: In this phase, anger is exhibited towards the partner leaving you with thoughts and emotions like “How could he/she do this to me?”, “How could he hurt me so much?” and so on.
- Euphoric Remembrance: Here you reminisce the good times together. You start to recollect how everything about your relationship was so good. You question your/your partner’s decision and wonder why did you have to part ways.
- Making sense of it all: In this stage, you weigh the positives and negatives and start to make sense of it all. You finally start to realize why it all had to fall apart. Your brain tends to analyse it all and get a logical explanation. Sometimes you may even end up over-analyzing your as well as your partners behavior. Grieving can be a part of this stage.
- Acceptance: Gradually you start to accept the breakup and its impact. You realize there’s no point staying stuck. You stop trying to get back and start accepting it actively.
- Redirected Hope: In this stage, your acceptance deepens and you start looking at life meaningfully. You begin to see a way to let go of the guilt, anger, frustration and move towards making peace with your feelings.If you want to get out of all this and want to save your relationship then connect with our best online therapist and enjoy life with your partner.
Regardless of what you might have gone through, being the dumper or the person being dumped, after having gone through a breakup, it is worth remembering the famous quote by Marilyn Monroe: “Sometimes good things fall apart so that better things can fall together.”
Even though it may not make sense then, it definitely will make sense someday.
Breakups at times are necessary to keep your sanity intact. Are you going through a breakup? Speak to our wellness experts at Ganeshaspeaks.com to cope with it effectively.