As we know that ancient sages derived inspiration from things around them to design yoga, they discovered ways and means to exercise the human spine to give it longevity and flexibility. Dhanurasan yoga or bow pose yoga is a back-bending asana. It exercises all the musculoskeletal system and neurovascular system involved in and around the spine for smooth function of the human body.
If you would be trying meditation for some time, you would agree that the experiences are varied. Sometimes it is blissful, and sometimes it is not as joyful. Without the help of a still body and calm mind, meditation is not possible. As a result, a vigorous exercise like stretching or a warm-up session, in layman’s terms, would enhance your meditative experience. The asanas are designed with this intention. Keeping the body fit and fine is just another effect of asanas. And Dhanurasan yoga or bow pose yoga one such yoga asana that helps to improve flexibility and enhance meditation experiences.
The spine is considered a tree of life. It is of great importance for seekers of enlightenment. To be absolutely receptive to the natural energies, a healthy spine is very important. Understanding the importance of this body part, asanas were designed to enhance its performance.
Meaning Of Dhanurasana pose
Dhanurasan is a combination of two Sanskrit words, one is Dhanu meaning bow, and asana meaning posture, so basically it means a bow pose yoga.
Let us see the bow pose benefits.
- Reduces anxiety and stress
- Opens your shoulders, relieving tight shoulders
- Strengthens biceps and triceps
- Tones core
- Strengthens neck muscles
- Reduces lethargy
- Effective in weight loss
- Improves digestion and appetite
- Helps to cure dyspepsia, rheumatism, and gastrointestinal problems.
- Cures constipation
- Improves blood circulation
- Relieves back pain and improves flexibility to the back
- Strengthens ankles, thighs, groins, chest, and abdominal organs
- Cures menstruation disorder
- Improves function of kidney and liver
- Improves posture
- Improves lung function and asthma
- Stimulates reproductive organs
- Improves function of the pancreas and diabetes
Now that we have known bow pose benefits, let us take a step forward and try to implement the knowledge that we have gathered about Dhanurasana pose. Follow the instructions carefully, as we guide you step by step to experience this asana practically. We are going to witness a whole-body exercise. The key is to go slow, steady, and relaxed. Remember, your body has a process of communication. You just have to train your mind and gain a little awareness to understand what your body is saying. If you feel your body is saying no, do not push.
Steps Of Dhanurasana Pose
Before we start, let us understand the breathing pattern for Dhanurasana yoga. Slowly and deeply inhale as you raise the body up and while maintaining this pose, breathe normally. Upon return to the start position, exhale deeply.
- Step 1. Lie flat on your belly, with your feet apart, parallel to your hips, and place your arms by the side of your body
- Step 2. Fold your knees and hold ankles with the hands
- Step 3. Inhale and lift your chest like a cobra and pull your legs up and stretch it out. When you do this, your arms and thighs will stretch and you will feel it
- Step 4. Hold this pose for 10-15 seconds, breathing long and deep
- Step 5. Slowly bring your chest and legs back to the ground, release your hold on the ankles, and relax with your hands on the side. This completes one set of Dhanurasana pose. You can continue to repeat as per your comfort level
Time And Duration
This posture will yield maximum benefit if held for 15 to 30 seconds. Keep in mind that when in bow position, only the pelvis and abdomen should be on the ground. This asana should be done 4 to 5 times.
As Dhanurasana yoga involves your digestive system, it is extremely necessary that you have an empty stomach while attempting bow pose yoga. There should be a gap of 3-4 hours between having meals and doing Dhanurasana pose. The front part of the body, like the chest, abdomen, quadriceps stretch and expand during this asana. It creates expansion and gives your lungs the space to expand to the fullest.
This contributes to better and deeper breaths, supplying more oxygen to the body. This way it addresses a lot of lung problems, such as asthma.
- When in the bow pose yoga, please avoid bending the elbows. Feel a full stretch in the upper and lower body
- Be aware of the body alignment
Seek Expert Advice
- If you are suffering from high blood pressure
- If you are suffering from back pain
- If you are suffering from a headache or migraine
- If you are suffering from a hernia or abdominal surgery
- If you are pregnant and in periods
- If you have heart problems
Dhanurasana For Beginners
Do asanas under the supervision of a yoga expert. Do as much as you can. Do not go beyond your capabilities. The most important thing is trying simple and easy asanas first, and once you master the basics including the breathing pattern, only then go for the more difficult asanas. Remember, yoga would not give you a six-pack, lean look overnight, but it does much more than that. Its purpose goes beyond the cosmetic effects of exercise. It primarily aims to give you a happy, fulfilling, disease-free, and long life and liberation.
Purna Dhanurasana, For Advanced Practitioners
Purna Dhanurasana is for long-time practitioners
- Step 1. Lie straight on your stomach
- Step 2. Bend both the knees. Hold both the feet with the hands
- Step 3. Raise the chest, and thighs higher. Then pull the feet close to the head Keep the elbows pointing upwards
- Step 4. Hold the breath and maintain the full bow position for as long as comfortable
- Step 5. Slowly exhale and release the legs, back to the basic position
- Step 6. Relax the whole body
Now that you have understood Dhanurasana pose perfectly, consult an expert and give it a try. We all deserve to experience bliss and have at least a drop of the ocean, called yoga in our lives. Dhanurasana yoga is a full-body strengthening and stretching asana. If done religiously for the long term, it will add to the flexibility of the overall musculoskeletal system. For the tedious work styles that many of us follow these days, bow pose yoga is like a boon. Hope you reap the benefits of this asana and keep fit.