Buddha Purnima 2023: Know More About This Festival
Table of Content
India is a country of festivals. The single largest feature of this vast terrain, extending from the giant Himalayas to the seashores, is its diversity. People across the country vary in their beliefs & cultures. Budhpurnima is one such festival that is celebrated with great enthusiasm by both Hindus and Buddhists. This day is celebrated as the birth anniversary of Gautama Buddha.
Vaishakha Purnima day is celebrated as Buddha Jayanti or Buddha Purnima according to the Hindu calendar. Gautam Buddha Purnima is also celebrated in many parts of the country under other names such as Siddhivinayak Purnima or Sathya Vinayak Purnima (Vinayak Purnima). Let us know some special aspects related to Buddha on this auspicious day of his birth anniversary.
What is Buddha Purnima?
There are some crucial things associated with Buddha Purnima. Lord Buddha was not just born on this day, he also attained enlightenment and nirvana on this day. Due to the importance of this day in the life of Lord Buddha, Gautam Buddha Purnima is celebrated with great pomp & enthusiasm.
How To Celebrate Buddha Purnima?
Lord Buddha Purnima or Buddha Jayanti is most majorly celebrated in Bodh Gaya, the place where Buddha got his enlightenment. Bodhgaya is one of the most important pilgrimage sites for the Buddhist people. Bodhgaya is actually a small district in Bihar, India. Buddhist followers from all over the world gather in large numbers there to worship Lord Buddha on the Buddha Purnima day.
The temple and the surrounding area are decorated with colourful Buddhist flags and the Buddhists decorate their homes with different types of lights, candles, and diyas. A colorful procession is taken out by Buddhist monks and followers after the morning prayer. The prayers of Buddhism and sermons keep echoing in the monasteries, religious halls and houses.
On this day, Buddhists bathe and wear only white clothes. People offer incense, flowers, candles and fruits to the statue of Lord Buddha. Traditionally, Buddhists are pure vegetarians and people who are non-vegetarians also do not eat meat on this day. Kheer with sweet dishes is prepared in homes. Besides, there is also the practice of freeing birds from cages on this day. Buddhist followers spend their entire day on Buddha Jayanti listening to Buddha’s life (buddha) and his teachings.
Buddha Purnima Dates In The Coming Years
The date of Buddha Purnima this year 2023 – 5 May 2023
The date of Buddha Purnima in the year 2024 – 23 May 2024
The date of Buddha Purnima in the year 2025 – 12 May 2025
The date of Buddha Purnima in the year 2026 – 1 May 2026
The date of Buddha Purnima in the year 2027 – 20 May 2027
The Buddha’s Teachings
- One moment can change a day, one day can change the whole life. And one life can change the whole world. Do not get entangled in the past, do not decorate the dreams of the future, just pay attention to the present, this is the path to real happiness.
- Lord Buddha said that the root cause of sorrow is craving. Destruction of craving is necessary for liberation from samsara chakra and sorrows.
- He told his followers, follow the path I have been told, imbibe my knowledge. Meditate regularly.
- He preached to adopt the Ashtanga Marg for liberation from the life cycle and for the destruction of sorrows. For the Ashtanga Marg, he emphasized Samyak vision, Samyak Sankalpa, Samyak Vyak, Samyak Karma, Samyak Aajeev, Samyak Karma, Samyak Smriti, Samyak Samadhi.
- Just like people who are troubled by sleeplessness, the night seems to be very long and a tired person is seen off the floor. In the same way, the cycle of life and death for the materialistic people by the true path is equally long.
- According to Gautama Buddha, non-violence is the ultimate religion. Gautama Buddha did not support the animal sacrifice in the Yajna, insisting on non-violence. According to Lord Buddha, every living being on earth has the right to live his or her life.
- The tongue is like a sharp knife, it kills without shedding blood. Always speak the truth and sweet words. A foolish person does not test the truth in his whole life even when being with intelligent people.
- Rather than winning thousands of battles, it would be better to conquer yourself. Then the victory will always be yours. No one can snatch it from you, neither God nor demon.
Buddha Jayanti Celebration in Other Countries
Besides India, Buddha Jayanti is also celebrated in countries like China, Nepal, Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand, Japan, Cambodia, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Indonesia, etc.
Buddha Purnima celebrates the birth of Lord Buddha. In another sense, it celebrates the existence of Lord Buddha. Indeed, Buddha Purnima day stands for the struggle and eventual triumph of happiness.
What is the main belief in Buddhism? Talk to our Expert Astrologer Now