(Image Source: Internet)
What Is Ganesh Chaturthi?
Ganesha Chaturthi is a ten-day long Hindu festival celebrated to honour the elephant-headed God Ganesha's birthday. He is the younger son of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati.
When Is Ganesha Chaturthi In 2018?
The date of Ganesh Chaturthi falls on the fourth day of the waxing moon period (Shukla Chaturthi) in the Hindu month of Bhadrapada. This is August or September each year. The festival is usually celebrated for 10 days, with the biggest spectacle taking place on the last day called Anant Chaturdashi. In 2018, Ganesh Chaturthi is on September 13. Anant Chaturdashi is on September 23.
The Importance Of Lord Ganesha And Ganesh Chaturthi Festival
Lord Ganesha is one of the most loved and prominent deities in India and he is known as the destroyer of obstacles and harbinger of great wisdom and prosperity. Ganesha is the Lord of arts and sciences and the deva of wisdom. He is honoured at the start of rituals and ceremonies as he's considered the God of beginnings. He's widely and dearly referred to as Ganapati or Vinayaka.
Ganesh Chaturthi is one of the most colourful, popular and widely celebrated festivals in India. Known by 108 different names, Lord Ganesha is the supreme source of knowledge, wisdom and fortune. Ganpati is known to herald auspicious beginnings. The Ganesh Chaturthi festival is celebrated with much energy, enthusiasm and devotion by families at home, public places and temples across northern, western and southern India. This festival marks the birth of Lord Ganesha. Let's get to know more about the Ganesh Chaturthi festival in this article.
The Story Behind Ganesh Chaturthi Festival
It's important, according to tradition, not to look at the moon during certain times on Ganesh Chaturthi. If a person sees the moon, they'll be cursed with accusations of theft and dishonoured by society unless they chant a certain mantra. Apparently, this came about after Lord Krishna was falsely accused of stealing a valuable jewel. Sage Narada said that Krishna must've seen the moon on Bhadrapada Shukla Chaturthi (the occasion that Ganesh Chaturthi falls on) and was cursed because of it. Furthermore, anyone who saw the moon then would be cursed in a similar way.
The Auspicious Timings (Muhurats) During This Festival
It is advisable to bring home the idol during the shubh, labh or amrit Choghadiya. If you wish to bring home the Ganpati idol for Ganesh Chaturthi on 12th September 2018, please mark the auspicious time frames:
Labh time: 6:29 Hours to 8:01 Hours
Amrit time: 8:01 Hours to 9:32 Hours
Shubh time: 11:04 Hours to 12:36 Hours
The Muhuruts for evening time would be: 17:11 Hours to 18:43 Hours
The Ganesh staphna (installation of the idol) on Ganesh Chaturthi day, i.e. on 13th September 2018, can be done at:
-Labh time: 12:35 Hours to 14:07 Hours
-Shubh time: 17:10 Hours to 18:42 Hours
Ganesha Puja is preferred during the afternoon on Ganesh Chaturthi since Lord Ganesh was born during the afternoon, between 12:42 Hours and 14:16 Hours, that is considered the best Muhurat to perform the Ganesh Puja and any work.
The Important Mantra On Ganesha Chaturthi
वक्रतुंड महाकाय सूर्यकोटी समप्रभ ।
निर्विध्नं कुरु मे देव सर्वकार्येषु सर्वदा ।।
Vvakratunda mahakaya surya koti samaprabha |
Nnirvighnam kurume deva sarva karyeshu sarvada ||
The meaning of the verse is as follows:
“O Lord Ganesha, we salute you the supreme. O mighty Lord who possesses a curved trunk and holy divine with mighty physique, whose brightness is like a zillion suns burning together, who bestows bliss to everybody. Hail to the God of million Gods; help me fight all my problems with faith that you will be there to protect me like you have been guiding me always. My Lord, I have faith in you that you will protect from all the evil forever.”
How To Celebrate The Grand Ganesha Chaturthi Festival?
- Install a beautiful idol of Lord Ganesha in the home or in public.
- Prana Pratishtha can be performed to invoke the power of the deity into the idol, followed by a 16 step ritual known as Shodashopachara Puja.
- Offer flowers and fruits like bananas, mangos, pomegranates or jackfruit in front of Lord Ganesha on Ganesh Chaturthi.
- First, fill a kalash with purified water
- Mix a piece of betel nut, Re. 1 or 25 paise coins, turmeric powder, perfume oil, 5 paan leaves, coconut.
- Mark turmeric powder on coconut and the paan leaves
- Over the rice grains, place one betel nut and keep a coin on the betel nut.
- Place the Ganpati idol over this preparation as part of Ganesh Chaturthi celebrations.
- Recite "Ganpati Bappa Moriya"
- The worship begins with the establishment of the idol.
- Now spread 5 paan leaves.
- Over each of the paan leaf, keep a piece of betel nut each, then put turmeric powder.
- Now lift the cover of Ganesh idol on Ganesh Chaturthi day.
- Offer Him Mukut, garlands, bracelets, clothes.
- Offer 21 Durba grass blades, 21 Modakas, and 21 flowers to Ganesha. The number 21 signifies - the five organs of perception, five organs of action, five vital breaths of air (pranas), five elements, and the mind.
- Apply a Tilak of red Sandalwood on His forehead on Ganesh Chaturthi.
- Prepare the aarti thaali with diya, incense, and fragrance.
- Recite 108 salutations dedicated to Lord Ganesha or read the Ganesha Upanishad.
- Sing “Jai Ganesh Jai Ganesh”.
- Finally, take blessings from Lord Ganesha to fulfil all your desire.
When Is Ganesha Chaturthi In 2019, 2020, 2021?
In 2019, Ganesha Chaturthi is on September 2. Anant Chaturdashi is on September 12.
In 2020, Ganesh Chaturthi is on August 22. Anant Chaturdashi is on September 1.
In 2021, Ganesha Chaturthi is on September 10. Anant Chaturdashi is on September 19.
Some Exclusive Products To Fill You And Your Home With Great Positivity And Cheer:
Holy Ganesha Idol
This Ganesha Chaturthi, bring home the great the Ganesha Idol Attuned by Bejan Daruwalla in order to live a happy, healthy, wealthy and peaceful life.
Eight Mukhi Rudraksha
Eight Mukhi Rudraksha represents Lord Ganesha and planet Ketu. This Ganesha Chaturthi, whoever you give this energized Eight Mukhi Rudraksha from GaneshaSpeaks.com, Ganesha ensures that he or she will be blessed with knowledge, wisdom and wealth.
Ganesh puja is a must before starting any work. Worship Ganesha Speaks energized Ganesha Yantra along with Ganesha idol and welcome success in work, business, undertaking and desires.
Ganesha wishes you a very prosperous and vibrant Ganesha Chaturthi!
With Ganesha’s Grace,
The GaneshaSpeaks.com Team
To Get Your Personalised Solutions! Talk To Astrologer Now.