(Image Source: Internet)
The Date And Importance Of Guru PurnimaIn the religious scriptures of Hinduism and Buddhism, the festive event of Guru Purnima is not only considered important, but also sacred. As per these age-old cultures, a Guru, a teacher is next to the God, and therefore an integral part of the society and its building process. This year, the auspicious day of Guru Purnima will be celebrated on July 9, 2017.
The following shloka from the ancient Vedic Scriptures elucidates the supreme place a teacher or Guru is given -
Gururbrahmā Gururviṣhṇu Gururdēvōh Mahēśhvaraḥ...I
Guru Sākṣhāta Paraṁ Brahmah Tasmai Shrī Guravē Namaḥ...II
Meaning : Oh teacher, you are akin to the Gods. You are Lord Vishnu and you are Lord Shiva – the God of the Gods. Oh teacher, you are the supreme being, and you are Lord Brahma for me. Thus, oh revered teacher, I bow in front of you.
The Full Moon day in Shukla Paksha during the Lunar month Ashad is celebrated as Guru Purnima. In the word Guru - Gu means darkness, ignorance and Ru implies elimination or removal. So, Guru is literally the one who removes the darkness of ignorance from our lives, makes us knowledgeable and brings positivity in our life and mind.
Guru-Shishya Relationship Is Emphasized On Guru Purnima DayThe Guru-Shishya (Teacher-Student) relationship is one of the highlights of the Indian culture. In olden days, children were made to wear a sacred thread (Poonal or Yagnopavith Or Janeu) and were sent to an Aashram/ Pathshala, where they were taught different subjects. It was assumed that a guru would help them find the right direction in life.
Parents are the first teachers in our life, and thus the Indian culture also considers parents as the Gurus. In the traditional Guru-Shishya culture, when a child finished his education and left the Ashram, he/ she offered something valuable, as a token of gratitude to his/ her Guru, and only then started a new life in the real world.
Keeping up with this Guru-Shishya tradition, every Guru Purnima, people give their teachers some gifts, as per their will and capacity, and seek their blessings/
Words for a Guru by the revered Saint Kabir -
Guru gōbinda dō'u khaḍē kākē lāgūm̐ pāya...
...balihārī guru āpanē gōbinda diyō batāya.
Meaning: If my Guru and God were standing together, to whom should I bow down to first? Well, in that case, I would choose to bow down to my Guru first, for he is the one who has helped me see and identify the God. It is impossible to find God without the help of a learned teacher.
Another very famous Doha/ couplet for teachers by Saint Kabir -
Kabīrā tē nara andha hai guru kō kahatē aura..
..hari rūṭhē guru ṭhaura hai guru rūṭhē nahī ṭhaura II
Meaning: He who cannot understand his teacher is blind. If the Lord is displeased with you, your teacher can save you from His anger and punishment. But, when a teacher is angry/ disappointed in you, who will save you?
What Should You Do On Guru Purnima?
- Meet the person who you consider to be your Guru.
- Shri Aadi Shankaracharya is considered the Jagatguru (everyone's teacher) as per the Vedic scriptures. You may worship Him on this day.
- Guru's Guru – Guru Duttatrey – should also be worshipped today. You may also recite Dutt Baavani.
- In Vedic Astrology, Jupiter (Brihaspati) is called as the Guru – the teacher or the signifier of higher education and ideals – you may worship Lord Jupiter on this day
By Worshipping Your Guru You Shall Invite Good Luck And Find Progress In LifeAs per the principles of Vedic Astrology, you may also worship an attuned and energised Guru Yantra, especially if the following planetary combinations (one or more) are present in your Natal Chart. This will help you strengthen Guru or Lord Jupiter's benign effects in your Horoscope.
Right now, Jupiter is transiting through exaltation, i.e., Virgo. This transit will have a strong impact on everyone's life. To know how you will be affected by it, avail a personalised Jupiter Transit Report and make the most of this benign period.
- If Jupiter is in its Sign of debilitation, i.e., Capricorn, in your Birth Chart, you should worship a Guru Yantra regularly.
- This Yantra is also favourable in case of a conjunction between Jupiter-Rahu, Jupiter-Ketu or Jupiter-Saturn in your Birth Chart.
- If Jupiter is in its House of debilitation, i.e., the 6th, 8th or the 12th House, in your Horoscope, you should worship an energised Guru Yantra.
- When Jupiter is retrograde or combust in your Natal Chart, Jupiter is not as strong as it usually is. Worshipping a reliable and energised Guru Yantra will prove to be beneficial for you.
- Those whose Kundalis/ Horoscopes indicate problems in matters related education, child, finances and married life should Talk to An Astrologer, seek genuine advice, and wear a suitable Pukhraj/ Yellow Sapphire when and if recommended.
- If your Kundali indicates financial troubles, you should regularly worship an energised Shree Yantra to find solutions on the financial front.
With Ganesha's Grace,
The GaneshaSpeaks.com Team