Did you know masturbation can be a stress buster?
What is Masturbation?
The act of stimulating one’s own genitals for the purpose of obtaining sexual pleasure is termed as Masturbation. The term Masturbation is originated from the Latin word Masturbari, which was earlier derived from the Greek terms Manu Stuprare which means “to defile with the hand”.
Masturbation is considered by sexologists and scientists to be a healthy sexual behavior and a perfectly natural activity for humans. Probably because it is a very private sexual behavior that no one talks about, it gets a terrible reputation. Although some religious convictions may lead people to identify such act as “evil,” it is not inherently “good” or “bad” to do it.
Being an activity out of which people derive pleasure, they might tend to overdo it. Anything in excess isn’t good. There are certain downsides of masturbating too much. These include:
- Masturbation in excess can prevent you from having intimate relationships with your partner.
- Daily masturbation can cause weakness, exhaustion, and early ejaculation.
So, you might ask if it causes so many problems then are there any other comforting prospects of it apart from pleasure?
Masturbation for de-stressing
Yes. Masturbation is considered one of the leading activities in which people engross to de-stress. Let me walk you through the psychology behind it.
- Dopamine, a neurotransmitter linked to pleasure, is produced into your body during masturbation. Dopamine improves your mood and helps you feel good. Additionally, oxytocin, a hormone released during an orgasm, reduces cortisol levels. The main stress hormone, cortisol, is frequently seen in high amounts in stressed-out individuals. These chemicals can be increased by touching and climaxing, which will make you feel calmer overall.
- Orgasmic masturbation can cause the release of endorphins, which have the ability to relieve pain. The pituitary gland, additional regions of the brain, and various areas of the nervous system can all contain endorphins. Orgasms can be used as a kind of natural pain relief, and they may even ease arthritis pain, menstrual cramps, headaches, and some types of back pain.
- As mentioned earlier, masturbation reduces stress levels. After obtaining sexual pleasure, the release of Oxytocin relaxes you. Low levels of stress also guarantee a peaceful mind and good night’s sleep.
- Masturbation helps you know and explore your body. You get to know the intricacies and also keep a check on your private parts. When you know your body better, you can take better care of it. Not only that, but you also learn how to accept and embrace all the positive as well as negative aspects of your body. Pleasuring yourself serves as a reminder of how wonderful your body is and that you deserve to feel good about it. It boosts your self-confidence over time. Additionally, you attract more opportunities leading to the path of happiness and success when you are self-assured. It also enhances fulfilment in other areas of your life.
- For some people, the act of indulging in sex can be stress provoking due to the risks involved in it. These risks include contracting sexually or orally transmitted diseases, unwanted pregnancies, urinary tract infections and so on. Masturbation, on the contrary, cuts down all these risks and is a safe way to derive sexual pleasure without being stressed about the outcome. So, it is almost as if you are having sex without any worries.
Myths about Masturbation
Moving on, it is important to note that there are various myths surrounding the topic of masturbation.
To begin with, certain people have a worrisome question: “does female masturbation cause infertility”. The reason why this question stems, especially in rural pockets of India is because infertility is a major issue that causes guilt, shame, and stigma, especially for women. Women who experience infertility may experience prejudice, social rejection, and abandonment, which increases their risk of mental health problems. So, women tend to be extremely cautious and want to avoid any risks to their fertility.
Rest assured it’s a myth; your fertility is unaffected in any way by masturbation. Masturbation has no impact on a person’s ability to become pregnant or carry a baby to term, regardless of genitalia, gender, or age.
Another problem that people worry about is hair loss. However, that’s just a myth. As of now, there is no scientific evidence behind the statement that Masturbation affects hair. So, if people tell you otherwise, maybe it’s just because they don’t want you to engross in the act or have not checked the rumors.
Yet another question that people, especially men pose is: “Can masturbation cause chest pain and heart attack?” No, it doesn’t cause chest pain. It in fact, helps you recover from heart attack. What happens is that when you masturbate, your heart rate increases due to which there is an increase in the demand of blood in the heart. However, it normalizes once you calm down and there is nothing to worry about it. Hence, it is considered an equivalent to cardiovascular workout.
Remember, masturbation is a type of self-love. Of course, anything in excess can be detrimental. However, anything in the optimum amounts will always turn out to be beneficial.
Consult the wellness experts at Ganeshaspeaks.com to equip you with the best coping skills to combat stress.