What Is Pitta Dosha According to Ayurveda?
There are three primary functional energies within the body. The pitta in the body is one of them and is reflected with fire (Agni) and water (Jal) which are the major components of nature. Pitta dosha is light, hot, and sharply influences digestion, metabolism, and energy.
The three doshas at optimum level create a balance and maintain health in a body. However, it is rather uncommon to maintain a balance of these three. Summer is accorded as the season for pitta dosha.
Constipation, diarrhea, heat in the body, the sluggish and lethargic feelings could be the pitta dosha symptoms.
Table of Content
The Herbs To Balance Pitta Dosha As Per Ayurveda
As per Ayurveda, various herbs help balance the Pitta in the human body. Try to inculcate these below herbs in your food as they work as a pitta dosha treatment
- Coriander is a super herb that balances not only pitta but all three doshas simultaneously.
- Cut down on herbs that can make your body warm such as heating spices, instead add more cardamom, and turmeric to your food.
- Drink infused water early in the morning as your morning drink. Take washed Brahmi leaves, leave them overnight in 1 liter of water and drink it the next morning.
- Brahmi along with decreasing your pitta also helps to promote sleep and balances all three doshas in the body.
- Ginger increases pitta in your body. Hence avoid having ginger if you have pitta issues.
Tips For Balancing Pitta
How to Reduce Pitta With A Pitta Pacifying Diet :
The diet that can soothe pitta in our body is a combination of cool and carb-rich food.
Few things that a person with high pitta should take care of
- Prefer cool over warm and hot
- Avoid oily, fried, spicy food. Instead, prefer light and nourishing food.
- Give preference to dry and solid food over liquid food.
- Try to cut down on coffee or caffeine-based products. Instead, prefer fresh juices.
Fresh fruits and vegetables help to decrease pitta in our body. Specifically, fruits that are both sweet and sharp help to decrease pitta. Make sure that you do not eat fruits that are bitter as that can aggravate this energy form. Ayurveda also recommends having fruits and vegetables by themselves and not combining them with any other food items.
Legumes are pitta pacifying foods. You can include legumes such as black beans, kidney beans, tofu soya beans, and the ones to avoid are soy sauce, urad dal. Nuts are high in oil content, hence, they should be avoided!
How is Pitta Increased In Body
An improper diet increases pitta in the body. Improper diet is the food that is salty, sour, deep-fried, and processed. Spending too much time out in the sun can also be a factor. Try to spend the morning in the sun to suffice vitamin D deficiency. Exposure to chemical and harmful toxins could also be the reason. Stress, tension can aggravate pitta. Hence, try to do yoga and meditation to reduce stress. Moreover, lack of sleep and consuming caffeinated beverages such as coffee, tea, alcohol, etc. all add to the increase of Pitta dosha. Hence, try to avoid all such drinks that disturb sleep.
Characteristics Of Pitta Dosha
Optimal digestion, mental digestion, clean and clear blood are included in functional and balanced pitta. If we get into more in-depth understanding then pita is also responsible for our ability to discern our body senses such as eyesight, hearing ability, and smell. The ability to maintain warmth and absorb sunlight respectively is also part of pitta dosha.
Effects in Mind and Body
- Colour and complexion
- Visual Attention
- Skin Health
- Health of Liver and small intestine
Pitta on Skin
- Rosy cheeks and lips
- Little and soft body hair
Pitta In Appearance
- Green or hazel almond-shaped eyes
- Thinning of hair and male pattern baldness
- Hair greys easily
- Stable yet flexible joints
- Symmetry in hips to shoulder
Excessive or Imbalanced Pitta Symptoms
- Excess sweat
- Smelly urine
- Sensitivity in teeth
- Red eyes
- Liver Issues
- Bad odour, smell feet
- Digestion Issues
- Issues in blood
Lifestyle Tips To Reduce Pitta
Many people often ask how to reduce pitta immediately. However, one thing that needs to be understood is that pitta cannot be reduced immediately especially not in Ayurveda. As instant results may not always last long, Ayurvedic medicines take time as they cleanse the entire body first and then start working on the root cause of the problem.
Many impurities are collected in the body because of which purification needs to be done which is also known as Panchakarma. This is a combination of 5 processes that aim at removing the deep imbalances within the body.
The five processes of purification are
- Niroohavasti (Decoction enema)
- Anuvasanavasti (Oil enema)
- Nasya ( Nostrils)
- Virechana (Purgation)
- Vamana (Emesis)
So, pitta is reduced over some time by making changes in lifestyle, and food.
Few Lifestyle Changes that You Can Inculcate are
- Eat three meals a day
- Take cold showers
- Do a coconut oil massage
- Go off-screen 1 hour before bed
- Get all 6 tastes (Sweet, Sour, Salty, Bitter, Pungent, and Astringent) in your meals
- Smile or laugh loud for at least 1 min a day
Yoga Poses To Try For Balancing Pitta
- Low Lunge
- Fish Pose
- Shoulder stand Variations
- Janu Sirsasana
- Chair Pose
- Pigeon Prep
- Seated Twist
- Bridge Pose
- Side Plank
- Half Moon Revolved
- Nadi Shodhana
- 3 Part Breath
- Bee Breath
- Cooling Breath
Ayurveda is a science that does not only focus on post medication for diseases. It mainly focuses on the food that should be consumed to balance the doshas within the body to lead a healthy and stress-free life. The health of an individual focuses on the normalcy of the Doshas.
Another piece of advice that Ayurveda also gives is to fill your stomach in three portions. One with food, the other with water, and the third should be vacant!
Minor lifestyle changes also play a huge role in a healthy body such as eating on time, having balanced meals, consuming fresh, seasonal fruits and vegetables. Overall, it is a holistic process of food and fitness.
Comprises of events likely to happen, hourly guidance, precise timeframes & Dos and Donts
Know the percentages of different aspects of your physical and mental state
Check out how well will your wavelengths with others match