Best Ayurvedic Medicine for Headache: Remedies That Work
For centuries, Ayurveda has been a lifesaver for many health adversities humans have faced. Now, at some point in life, every one of us has had a bad case of headache. The less fortunate of us even have a migraine. Those who have it know how it can affect your lifestyle and the problems it brings. Today, we will tackle the beast with the help of Ayurveda. Here are some ayurvedic medicine for headache and migraine.
Here, we are talking not only about medicine but also about treatments, remedies, and everything that Ayurveda has to offer when it comes to headaches.
Table of Content
Approach to Headache & Migraine Cure in Ayurveda
Headache in Ayurveda is believed to be caused by two reasons. First would be the imbalance of the Dosha, mainly pitta dosha. It can happen for so many reasons, but your lifestyle and eating habits will affect your doshas the most. Indigestion is also one of the reasons behind it. The other factor is a sensitive nervous system leading to headaches.
Pitta causes imbalance indigestion, and as a result of that, digestive impurities called ama are produced in your body. Ayurvedic treatments for headache concentrates on the elimination of these causing factors. Because Ayurvedic medicine attacks the cause of the headache itself, it provides long-term relief from the headache.
On the other hand, other medicine streams aim to relieve the pain, not attending to the root of the pain. When it comes to your nervous system, Ayurveda can help you get the right amount of Ojas (energy) in your body, leading to a healthy mind and, subsequently, fewer headaches and migraines.
Let’s discuss the treatments in Ayurveda for headache.
Ayurvedic Treatments for Headache
Dosha balance would be the most Ayurvedic approach to a migraine and headache. The ayurvedic practitioner may suggest one of the methods listed below, whichever suits your body type the best. Here is the list.
Panchkarma is used to get rid of the toxins accumulated into your whole body, and it can very well help you not only with relieving your headache but also the other problems caused by the said toxins.
This ayurvedic treatment for a headache may include
- Nasya Karma: pouring medicated oil into your nose.
- Ayurvedic Massage
- Sweating Panchkarma Therapy
- Lifestyle and dietary changes
Pathyadi is a liquid supplement in Ayurveda that is made of multiple herbs. The plants are boiled, and the concentrated liquid can be used as a Pathyadi decoction afterwards. The herbs used in Pathyadi are pain-relieving herbs of Ayurveda. It can have a mixture of neem, turmeric, myrobalan, bibhitaki (beleric or Terminalia Bellirica), and amla (Indian Gooseberry).
Yoga is also one of the practices used to relieve headache. Yoga is a practice that helps in bridging the gap between the mind and body, but it is also practised worldwide as a meditating activity to achieve relaxation.
This will work more with your nervous system, as stress and anxiety play an important part in causing the headache. It can also help in reducing your sensitivity to pain.
Here are some yoga poses that you can try to get rid of that headache and even reduce the frequency of your migraines.
- Bridge Pose
- Child’s Pose
- Downward-facing Dog
Make sure you take every precaution while performing the poses and consult with your health advisor first before doing them. In some cases, it can harm you more than it can help you if not performed correctly.
Get a new perspective on wellness and experience a better life with our online therapist.
Meditation & Other Relaxation Techniques
Just like Yoga, anything that bridges the gap between your mind and body can help you with your headaches and migraine frequencies. Here are some of the techniques to try.
Meditation and Mindfulness: Closely related to each other, mediation with mindfulness technique will help you concentrate on the present and clear your mental chatter. It can help you reduce stress and anxiety, which can lead to relief in your headache.
Progressive Muscle Relaxation: It is also one of the relaxation techniques where you focus on one muscle group at a time, tighten it for a few seconds and then relax it. In this method, you usually start with the muscles in your head and go down to your toes.
Deep Breathing: An act as simple as deep breathing can also help you with migraine and headaches. Try to breathe from your stomach, and it will get more oxygen to each part of your body.
Guided Imagery: In this method, you will work on creating a happy place for yourself, helping your mind and body to calm down and reduce stress and anxiety. This will help you reduce your sensitivity to pain.
These are some of the treatments you can go for when it comes to Ayurveda. But what about some tablets? Churna and tablets are some of the ways to take Ayurveda medicines, and here are some that you can try.
Ayurvedic Tablets for Headache
Some Ayurvedic tablets for migraine and headache are:
Triphala Churna or Tablet
Triphala is one of the most versatile mixtures of medicines in Ayurveda that is used for multiple purposes. It is a blend of three herbs, namely haritaki (Terminalia Chebula), bibhitaki (Terminalia Bellirica), and amla (Indian Gooseberry). It is said to help with both respiration and digestion. It will help you clear nasal passages and sinuses, getting rid of the allergens. This helps a lot with migraine.
Sitopaladi Churna or Tablet
Another Ayurvedic tablet for a headache would be a blend of mishri, cardamom, cinnamon, pepper, and vankshalochana (the bamboo stem). It helps in balancing cough and clears your respiratory system. This will help you get rid of pulsating headaches and migraine.
Coltsfoots or Batterbur’s purified root extracts in tablet forms can also be used to prevent headaches or migraine. Another extract, Ginkgo biloba, made from the Maidenhair tree, is believed to help with migraines.
What if all of these tablets are not the way you want to go? No worries. Ayurveda offers some remedies that will allow you to cure
There is always a cure in your home. Especially when it comes to Ayurveda, if the headache is light and nothing serious, you can try some of the Ayurvedic home remedies for headaches. However, it is always advisable to consult with a professional therapist first before going on with any of them. Here are some of the Ayurvedic Remedies for the headache that you can try.
- A mixture of sandalwood powder, rose water, and ground clay paste applied to your head can help you relieve the headache.
- A paste made of ground pepper and rice with water can also be applied to the affected area for 15-20 minutes.
- A mixture of cinnamon oil and carnation powder will also help you the same way when applied to the affected area for around 20 minutes.
- You can also put a few drops of sesame drops in your nostrils and inhale deeply. It is said to help in relieving the headache. Brahmi Ghee works the same way.
- Massaging your head with oil, especially with coconut oil can help you with the headache.
- A hot ginger tea with spices like black pepper, cloves, cinnamon can help clear your sinuses and help you relieve your headache.
Ayurveda for Headache: Some Handy Tips
- If you are prone to headaches and migraine, Ayurveda suggests you eat cooked food which is easily digestible. If it is hot, even better. You can eat stews, soups, vegetable juices, brown rice, etc.
- Fruits like mango, grapes, pears, papaya, and apples are your friends.
- Eating Magnesium-rich foods like seeds, eggs, nuts, and leafy greens can help with migraine.
- Iron-rich foods, salads, cooked rice, garlic, cumin, cinnamon, and asafetida (hing) can also help you balance your Dosha and prevent headaches.
- Almonds, walnuts, raisins are also said to help.
- Spicy and oily food should be avoided at any cost.
- You should take a break from anything excessive, such as work. Doing anything in excess is believed to trigger a migraine.
- Moreover, do not stay in extreme hot or extreme cold environments, if you are prone to headaches.
Whether a long term solution like Panchkarma or a jar in your kitchen, Ayurveda will always have something for you whenever you are feeling down. Do not let the headache and migraine hold you. Just follow the dietary tips provided here, and if the ailments still find you somehow, you know where to look for!
How do you apply wellness in your life? Consult our online therapist to get the perfect guide.