Erectile Dysfunction: An Embarrassment! Really?
How many of you get embarrassed during sexual encounters due to infecundity or loosening of the penis. This is related to a disorder called erectile dysfunction or ED. It is a kind of sexual disorder typically demarcated by the inability of the penile muscle ( ischiocavernosus) to withhold erection during copulation. Earlier it was a problem of 40+ age males but nowadays due to fast paced life filled with stress and other factors, the number of ED cases are rising. Attending an erection and holding it through the sexual encounter is very important for climaxing. It may sound easy but the science behind it is very complex.
Table of Content
What Causes Erection?
Let us go a little technical. An erection is a combination of sensory and mental stimulation. During sexual stimulation, the responsible nerve sends a message to the brain and the impulse from the brain and local nerves causes the muscles of the corpora cavernosa to distend and allow the blood to flow in and fill the available space. The filling of the blood creates pressure in the corpora cavernosa, making the penis hard and creates an erection. The membrane surrounding the corpora helps to trap the blood and sustain the erection. If the blood flow stops and the muscle contracts then erection is reversed. In short, it is a simulation of the brain and the muscles that play a role in erection. Problems in any of the processes or organs mentioned above can lead to erectile dysfunction.
Around 70 % of cases, ED is caused by psychological or physiological factors. Physical factors may include disease like high blood pressure, hypercholesterolemia, low hormonal level, spinal injury, smoking and alcohol abuse or any kind of injury to the penis or related organs. Psychological causes include stress, anxiety, depression or rage.
There are many treatments optional ranging from synthetic chemicals to ayurvedic herbs. Let us explore a few of them.
Generic Synthetic chemicals like sildenafil, tadalafil and vardenafil belong to a class called the PDE5 inhibitors. Chemically for an erection to occur, nitric oxide sends a message to the muscles of the penis, which makes the muscle relax and fill the blood and erection occurs. The erection however ends with another messenger called the phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitor of PDE5 inhibitors. The above-mentioned drugs inhibit the inhibitory chemical messengers. It’s like deactivating the off switch. They are more of delaying the climax by maintaining the erection. It does not cause its own erection. However, there are several side effects in the longer run and one should always consult an expert.
Ayurveda categorizes ED into four categories mentioned below.
- Dhajabhangaja klaibya: This kind of ED is caused due to overindulgence in sexual activities, chronic disease, physical injury and trauma to penile organs and tissue.
- Bijopaghataja and Shukra Kshayaja Klaibya: These types of ED occur due to oligospermia and low sperm quality.
- Jaraja Klaibya: This occurs due to the advancement of age and nutrient deficiency.
Since ED is not a pathological disease, it can be treated by medication and at times through surgical operations. However, Ayurveda provides a non-invasive and safe method.
Ayurvedic Remedies For Erectile Dysfunction
Ayurvedic treatment for erectile dysfunction includes diet control, use of herbs, meditation, breathing exercise and certain physical therapy. The main focus of Ayurveda is to restore the balance between mind and body. According to Ayurveda, a person possesses one of the three kinds of energy called Vatta, Pitta and Kapha dosha. When a person suffers from any kind of ailment then there is an imbalance in one of these three doshas. Let us first see what are ayurvedic herbs available.
- Ashwagandha: The Indian ginseng is obtained from the bark of the root of a plant called Withania somnifera. This plant has aphrodisiac properties. This sattvic herb generates a positive aura and provides strength to the penile tissue during copulation. It also helps in increasing the libido, stamina and prevents premature ejaculation. Apart from that it can act as anti-fatigue and reduces mental stress which can be one of the factors for erectile dysfunction.
- Shatavari: It is often called the queen of herbs and goes by the name of Asparagus racemosus. It is very beneficial for improving the sexual libido in both male and female. If taken in powder form, then it has several rejuvenating effects and improves blood circulation. It also helps in calming the mind. Many studies suggest that it can increase the production of sperm.
- Safed Musali: The yellowish-white root-like part of Chlorophytum borivilianum can be a potential aphrodisiac. It helps in reducing stress-related immune disorder which increases the production of corticosterone. Corticosterone is an antagonist to testosterone. Ayurvedic practitioners recommend the usage of musali every day to enhance libido and sperm count.
- Gokshura: It is a kind of churana that has shown a promising effect on male’s sexual health. It is an agonist and helps in spermatogenesis. It is used in the treatment of hypospermia, asthenozoospermia (sperm motility), oligospermia (low sperm count). It is loaded with antioxidants and improves the production of testosterone and helps in preventing premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction.
- Tulsi Beej: In Ayurveda, it is called the “Holy Basil”. It has many medicinal properties and is also helpful in treating male impotency. The seed if taken regularly can increase the blood flow in the penile tissue and help increase libido and increase stamina.
- Cinnamon: Cassia cinnamon is extracted from the bark of cinnamon trees. The extract which is also called the Chinese cinnamon has been demonstrated to improve sexual function and can be used as an option for erectile dysfunction home remedies. It is very important to choose the correct kind of cinnamon.
Take help of an expert to choose your correct ayurvedic medicine as the wrong medicine and dosage can have adverse effects.
Yoga And Meditation
Apart from the herbs and medicine one should always mix and match yoga and meditation that will help in treatment. Yoga and meditation help in calming the body, increasing concentration and improving blood circulation. In the non-pathological cause of ED, Yoga alone can help in improving the symptoms of erectile dysfunction and promote the levels of testosterone. Contact a yoga expert for guidance regarding poses recommended for reducing stress and improving blood flow.Erectile Dysfunction can be a major cause of embarrassment for males against their partner. But there is a cure and it is completely treatable if one does not ignore the signs and symptoms. Do not allow it to become a topic of depression for you. Remember there is always hope. Ayurveda for erectile dysfunction uses a holistic approach in the treatment of ED. It largely has no side effects compared to synthetic cousins like viagra. There are many ayurvedic medicines for erection that can help in the treatment of ED. Also, use of herbs for a long duration may not show any signs of concern. Using yoga is another way to improve mental health and get rid of toxic stress. However, the research activities in these fields are still in juvenile condition and one should contact the doctor before switching to ayurvedic treatment.
Comprises of events likely to happen, hourly guidance, precise timeframes & Dos and Donts
Know the percentages of different aspects of your physical and mental state
Check out how well will your wavelengths with others match