Ayurvedic Treatment For Constipation
Everyone may have experienced constipation at some point in life. It is prevalent like a cold, or fever. In some cases, it does not extend more than 2-3 days in which medical attention is not required. However, if the problem pertains to a long time, medical intervention is required.
Diarrhea is not the only one that can be attributed to constipation. Having less than three bowels in a week, straining a lot, or having a lumpy stool is also a signal of weak bowel movement.
Prolonged conditions of constipation can lead to further problems such as indigestion, lack of appetite, fissures, piles, and fistulas.
There are many short-term solutions that are available for constipation. If this short term solution or medication does not provide consistent results then it is time to look for a long term solution. Find the root cause and remove the root cause.
Table of Content
Reasons For Constipation
Usually, constipation occurs when the food consumed is hard to digest. However, there are various other reasons as well such as being a side effect to a certain medication, travelling, eating food frequently from outside, dehydration. The infrequent occasions do not pose a threat, but when this becomes a regular concern, that is when it poses threat. If a person faces constipation for more than 3 days a week then medical intervention is required.
A few common causes of constipation include:
- Stress or lifestyle changes, which can lead to a problem with colon muscles delaying the passage of stool.
- Dehydration is also one of the reasons for the unsmooth bowel movement.
- Medication, pain killers, antidotes can also be a reason for constipation.
- Constipation can occur during pregnancy or periods. Any hormonal changes can lead to diarrhea.
Health Consequence of Constipation
Constipation happens when metabolism and digestion are affected. Not being able to pass stool can affect the day-to-day chores. It creates a sense of uneasiness and a feeling of blockage.
There can be psychological impact also because of the condition. Constantly being stressed, feeling of discomfort, and headaches.
The strain put on by the passing of stool can lead to discomfort and swelling of veins around the anus that would later lead to piles.
You may also like to read on how to treat piles with the help of Ayurveda.
When the stool is too hard to pass and with excessive pressure, there can be cuts or anal fissures.
There is a risk of rectal prolapse that happens when the straining is excessive.
Stools stuck in the colon for longer periods can cause grave health issues, and in some cases, surgical intervention is required.
Ayurvedic Medicine for Acidity and Constipation
Hing is considered a very powerful herb for improving digestion and hence is a part of Indian recipes. This herb helps relieve constipation and acidity.
Carom Seeds (Ajwain)
Ajwain helps easy digestion. It in fact can keep most of the diseases related to the digestive tract aside. It helps get rid of constipation and hyperacidity as well.
Pudina not only adds flavours to the food and mocktails, it provides relief from indigestion, acidity and upset stomach. Mint can kill intestinal worms as well.
Mint is also known to boost immunity. It has terrific properties to help with acidity, hence is included in the herbal medicines for acidity.
Would you like to read more about how to increase wellness awareness, go no further it is for you Here.
Ayurvedic Remedy For Constipation
An inability to correctly pass the stools is constipation. This problem is often because of poor eating patterns, and an unhealthy lifestyle. Ayurveda suggests the use of herbs as a treatment to solve the problem. These herbs recommended are directly sourced from nature, as nature has all the solutions to our problem. All we have to do is look! Look out in the abundance of nature and the healing science.
As per the oldest healing science, the doshas need to be discussed and corrected and the focus is placed on improving digestion and maintaining metabolism to smoothen the bowel movements and other functioning of the body.
For the better functioning and bowel movement of the body, working out every day is one of the mandates.
It is also good to eat foods that are rich in fiber such as oats, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Fiber rich food, softens the stool making it easy to pass out.
Ayurvedic Cure For Constipation
A holistic approach is adopted when treating diarrhea. The main focus lies in the diet and the food that is consumed. Subsequently, lifestyle changes are also recommended, as these changes help in strengthening the core and the digestive system.
While treating constipation, the diet consumed should pacify Vata dosha.
Warm meals should be preferred over cold food. Cold food should be completely avoided. Include more sweet, sour, salty, warm food in their diet.
Avoid sharp, raw, and processed food. Individuals can consume nuts such as almonds, cashews, and walnuts but in moderation. Know in detail about what should be included and excluded from a vatta diet.
A few more dietary recommendations that Ayurveda has are:
- Spinach is rich in fiber, hence try to include it in your smoothies or meals.
- Fruits like bananas, guavas, figs, and oranges should be included to fight constipation.
- Consume food that is warm and is freshly cooked. Try to inculcate spices such as turmeric, garlic, and cumin in your meals.
- Start your day with warm water and lemon. Keep on sipping warm water throughout the day to turn the stool soft and pass out.
- Avoid fried food, processed food, and non-vegetarian food.
- Try to cut down on tea and coffee as that can interfere with the digestion of the body.
- Mixing a spoon of ghee with warm milk helps aid the digestive process.
- Avoid Chemical-based laxatives, instead choose natural laxatives. A few examples of natural laxatives are castor oil and roasted fennel seeds with warm water.
Along with food, exercise is also equally important to improve metabolism. Try to walk post your meals, as it will fasten the process of digestion.
Yoga as always is very beneficial for constipation as well. Various yoga asanas give relief from constipation, gas and bloating.
Few Yoga Asanas Impactful in Constipation are
- Trikonasana (Triangle pose)
- Bhujangasana (Cobra pose)
- Shalabasana (Locust pose)
- Ardhamatsyendrasana (Half spinal twist pose)
- Viparita karani (Upside down pose)
A few last words of wisdom to share are
- Make sure you get 6 to 8 hours of sleep, as a well-rested body feels rejuvenated and stimulates the body’s metabolism.
- Try to make sure you maintain your sleeping, eating patterns and follow the pattern religiously.
- Ayurveda recommends Abhyanga, Massages, Panchakarma as these therapies will help rejuvenate the body.
Ayurvedic Herbs for Constipation
Ayurvedic treatment would be incomplete without the mention of herbs. Herbal formulation recommended by Ayurveda helps balance the Vata and makes the colon function healthy. These herbs can help treat the symptoms of constipation and allow normal bowel movement for the betterment of your health.
- Triphala: One of the many benefits of Triphala is that it is anti-inflammatory and is a natural laxative. It helps in improving digestion.
- Sukumara Ghrita helps treat constipation.
- Castor oil is a natural laxative. It helps in loosening the stools and cleansing the stomach.
- Dashamula is a combination of roots of ten herbs. The pros of Dashamula include better digestion and elimination of stools.
- Abhayarishta is made from grapes and other herbs. It promotes better digestion and helps in ensuring smooth and regular bowel movement.
- Flax Seeds: They are an amazing source of omega-3 fatty acids and fibre. It helps the stool pass easily, hence making it quite effective in treating constipation.
- Fennel seeds have a volatile and slippery quality which helps ease constipation.
- Warm cup of milk and ghee helps regulate bowel movement.
- Raw Pulp of bael fruit is high in fibre and can also be considered.
Other herbs that help treat constipation are Haritaki, Isabgol, and Patola.
Ayurveda is a gift provided by nature. It does wonders to our body, mind and soul. Medicines curated in a lab will not be able to give you those benefits which the herbs curated from nature can. It is a holistic approach, and future diseases and sicknesses can be avoided as Ayurveda builds the body to get rid of the entire toxins which cause troubles in the future.
How to relieve constipation naturally? Is there any therapy for that? Know with our online therapist.