Curses of Forefathers (Pitra Dosha) – Astrological Implications After the demise of someone, people say “May his soul rest in peace”. This wish clearly indicates that there may be millions of souls who are not resting in peace. All the souls are ancestors of someone who are alive today. In Vedic astrology they are referred to as “Pitru” (forefathers).
A restless soul can cause many problems to his successors. In astrology it is called “Pitru Dosha”. There are special references in astrological classics like “Brihat Parashara Hora Shastra” and others on this subject. There are references in “Puranas” also on this topic. The methods of analysing this affliction in the Horoscope of natives, its effects on the native and his family members and remedial measures for the problems have also been discussed in detail in astrological classics.
Curses of forefathers can cause serious health problems which may become so complicated that medical practitioners may fail to diagnose the disease and medicine prescribed may become totally ineffective. The problem goes beyond the scope of medical sciences.
Symptoms like abnormal behaviour, uncontrollable anger, inflicting fatal injuries to others, depression, suicidal tendencies, uncontrollable pain persisting even after medication; rashes in body parts without any visible cause, nausea may have some relationship with such curses. Many such problems have a cyclic occurrence and seem related to the movement of planets. These relationships show that complicated health issues are due to “Pitru Dosha” and steps should be taken to solve these problems through astrological methods suggested in the astrological classics. A psychiatrist and an astrologer can work together in finding solution for such complicated issues.
In addition to the medical problems mentioned above, the “Pitru dosha” can cause some more problems like:-
- Repeated miscarriages
- Family disputes
- Obstacles in career and education without any apparent reason
- Inability to get married
- Birth of mentally challenged children
- Family disputes
- Demise of children at young age
In the horoscope the “Pitru Dosha” can be judged from the afflictions to the 9th Lord and the 9th House from the “lagna” (ascendant) and the Moon. If simultaneously Sun is also afflicted by Saturn, “Rahu” or “Ketu”, the karmic issues get further enhanced. If, simultaneously, Moon also gets afflicted, the problem becomes more complicated.
Prescribed methods for dealing with the issues related to forefathers are available in many religions. Forefathers generally target the successors in their own family. The best way for the successor is to pray to the divine for forgiveness. Since forefathers are also considered divine souls, one should seek forgiveness from them also. Every restless soul is restless because it is waiting for “mukti” (salvation). The successors should take steps prescribed in religious texts for the “mukti” of the souls of ancestors.
As per Vedic astrology the following steps should be taken for solving the problems of “Pitru Dosha” as reflected in the Horoscope.
- One should take a vow to provide unconditional services to parents and elders. This helps in getting the grace of ancestors.
- Good behaviour and charity to needy persons is necessary. Good behaviour to persons who are in our service is also necessary. Both of these are recommended for removing the “Pitru Dosha”
- Worshipping Lord Vishnu is recommended because all the souls ultimately merge into the great entity of Lord Vishnu. This merger is called “mukti”.
- Worship of any “Samarth Sadguru” like “Shri Sai Nath of Shirdi” will also be helpful because Sadguru’s are like beacon lights who guide us towards the great divinity of the Almighty.
- One should take responsibility for the marriage of a girl preferably of a poor family to obtain the grace of God and ancestors.
- Worship should be performed for the “mukti” of the souls of ancestors as suggested and prescribed in classics.
- Recitation of "Shri Gurudev Datta" mantra is said to reduce the ill-effects of "Pitru Dosha".
Confused and worried? Is your Horoscope afflicted by Pitru Dosha? Ask A Question – to our astute astrologer Anand Sagar Pathak.